Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Stalling the development of a Nation by an NGO is baseless. The Narmada Bachao Aandolan is simply reminding the government the consequences of Environmental abuse. This is what Medha Patkar and several such NGOs are doing. I do not see any development blocking in these NGOs.

The NBA of Patkar wanted the government to first ensure that the persons displaced by the backwater of the Narmada Dam should be settled properly rather than announcing a peanut compensation. As most of the displaced were MP tribals there voice was not being heard till NBA stepped in. Proper settlement means spending crores of rupees for resettlement and it adds to the Dam project cost. This was not liked by the governments as it would mean arranging for more fiscal resources. Therefore a vilification campaign was launched on NBA and Medha Patkar in particular and she was literally declared as anti national. The Supreme Court has directed that only on proper certification that the dam oustees have been properly resettled will its height be increased in phases. It has been a standard practice to pay dam affected persons inadequate compensation and shut their voice and reduce the project cost. It shows considerable narrowness of mind on part of the beneficiaries that they want water for drinking and irrigation and electricity and the politicians want votes but they will not care about the poorest tribal who is not trained to lead a life away from his land which is submerged by the waters of the dam. One time adequate benefit to him pinches them but lifetime benefit to themselves is welcome. It is sad that in this almost all politicians of all parties including those who have held high posts in past and are doing so now are equally responsible. The role played by NBA is commendable. Unwritten and unsung tribal and other persons have recd for the first time in India adequate protection and resettlement. Why should anybody object is difficult to understand and if in such activity foreigners also contribute it should be welcomed. It is one way of FDI.

Well explained. That's the crux of my argument too.

But is the anti nuclear power movement justified by NGO?

After seeing the hazards involved in Nuclear power plants even in advanced country like Japan, this anti nuclear power movement started.In the present Indian scenario of India where the safety aspects are conveniently set aside, it's justified.

It is wrong to say that safety aspects are set aside in India, can you substantiate your observation pl.

Very recently I posted thread with the title "Safety takes a Back seat." additionally, kudankulam plant which has recently attained rated capacity had a record of many accidents in its earlier stage. It's an established fact that when it comes to industrial safety, India has a poor record.

I agree that on the whole Indian industry cuts corners when it comes to safety. But my submission was that in nuclear power, safety is not set aside and initial accidents are during construction before it became critical. Is any safety aspect during operations set aside as that would be fatal which you may like to substantiate.

Just after the mishap in Bhilai steel plant, 2 days ago, another case of gas leakage happened in Vizag steel plant's steel melting shop. One dead and a few were injured. This is where I worked. And I know to what extent our industries take safety seriously.
Stalling the development of a Nation by an NGO is baseless. The Narmada Bachao Aandolan is simply reminding the government the consequences of Environmental abuse. This is what Medha Patkar and several such NGOs are doing. I do not see any development blocking in these NGOs.

The NBA of Patkar wanted the government to first ensure that the persons displaced by the backwater of the Narmada Dam should be settled properly rather than announcing a peanut compensation. As most of the displaced were MP tribals there voice was not being heard till NBA stepped in. Proper settlement means spending crores of rupees for resettlement and it adds to the Dam project cost. This was not liked by the governments as it would mean arranging for more fiscal resources. Therefore a vilification campaign was launched on NBA and Medha Patkar in particular and she was literally declared as anti national. The Supreme Court has directed that only on proper certification that the dam oustees have been properly resettled will its height be increased in phases. It has been a standard practice to pay dam affected persons inadequate compensation and shut their voice and reduce the project cost. It shows considerable narrowness of mind on part of the beneficiaries that they want water for drinking and irrigation and electricity and the politicians want votes but they will not care about the poorest tribal who is not trained to lead a life away from his land which is submerged by the waters of the dam. One time adequate benefit to him pinches them but lifetime benefit to themselves is welcome. It is sad that in this almost all politicians of all parties including those who have held high posts in past and are doing so now are equally responsible. The role played by NBA is commendable. Unwritten and unsung tribal and other persons have recd for the first time in India adequate protection and resettlement. Why should anybody object is difficult to understand and if in such activity foreigners also contribute it should be welcomed. It is one way of FDI.

After seeing the hazards involved in Nuclear power plants even in advanced country like Japan, this anti nuclear power movement started.In the present Indian scenario of India where the safety aspects are conveniently set aside, it's justified.

It is wrong to say that safety aspects are set aside in India, can you substantiate your observation pl.

Very recently I posted thread with the title "Safety takes a Back seat." additionally, kudankulam plant which has recently attained rated capacity had a record of many accidents in its earlier stage. It's an established fact that when it comes to industrial safety, India has a poor record.

I agree that on the whole Indian industry cuts corners when it comes to safety. But my submission was that in nuclear power, safety is not set aside and initial accidents are during construction before it became critical. Is any safety aspect during operations set aside as that would be fatal which you may like to substantiate.

Just after the mishap in Bhilai steel plant, 2 days ago, another case of gas leakage happened in Vizag steel plant's steel melting shop. One dead and a few were injured. This is where I worked. And I know to what extent our industries take safety seriously.

I am particularly interested in nuclear power plant and the latest one, because assurances have been given about its safety by experts and country's topmost leadership. Do we doubt them. The Japanese plant was hit by an external tsunami not internal safety lapse.
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

I am particularly interested in nuclear power plant and the latest one, because assurances have been given about its safety by experts and country's topmost leadership. Do we doubt them. The Japanese plant was hit by an external tsunami not internal safety lapse.

Industry is an industry be it a nuclear plant or a steel making plant, where people work. Not Robots. And India is equally vulnerable to Tsunamis.

Industry is an industry be it a nuclear plant or a steel making plant, where people work. Not Robots. And India is equally vulnerable to Tsunamis.

It is my belief that the nuclear industry in India is operated very safely and no corners are cut in safe practices. I am not aware of any serious accidents in any of the nuclear plants till date. nuclear plants have a high degree of automation and that adds t less human errors. Yes India is vulnerable to tsunamis but chances are very rare if we go by past data.

It is my belief that the nuclear industry in India is operated very safely and no corners are cut in safe practices. I am not aware of any serious accidents in any of the nuclear plants till date. nuclear plants have a high degree of automation and that adds t less human errors. Yes India is vulnerable to tsunamis but chances are very rare if we go by past data.

Yes, chances are very rare. But it's a chance. It can go in any way.
Indian government is not planning to ban such NGOs but they are now planning to audit financial transactions to these NGOs and this should be a good move to see whether enemies of India are funding these organizations or not, if they comes clean with it then it is alright, after all every law abiding citizens is paying taxes and abide by law they why not socalled NGOs?

http://mohanmekap.com/

Without verifying the underlying truths it's a mistake to conclude all NGOs are blocking the development in India. I know some NGOs are genuine and rendering selfless service both to the people and the government.
Without verifying the underlying truths it's a mistake to conclude all NGOs are blocking the development in India. I know some NGOs are genuine and rendering selfless service both to the people and the government.

Yesterday the Environment Minister said that let the carbon discharge levels go up in India - we have to progress at any cost. They do not want NGO's to oppose and this could be a way of silencing them.

Yesterday the Environment Minister said that let the carbon discharge levels go up in India - we have to progress at any cost. They do not want NGO's to oppose and this could be a way of silencing them.

They may silence the NGOs, but the government is knowingly and willingly killing its own subjects. History will not pardon them.
Activism is ok but it is done to stop progress of country should not be tolerated as yesterday in one discussion former IB chief said 98 percent of NGO s bank account are not scanned and they are not submitting IT returns, it is right to see the monetary route and observe and invigilate it, it is ok if they continue to go for activism and if government wants development then they can supress their voice and move forward.

http://mohanmekap.com/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.