Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
No offense intended here or no intention of hurting anyone's religious feelings, But can anyone explain to me how a dip in the extremely dirty, gutter-like waters will cleanse anyone's sins??? :blink: :blink: :blink: Not to mention the thousands of people of all kinds of hygiene (unhygiene) dipping in them at the same time???

This is just a myth even I don't think its hygenic to take a bath in dirty water specially when there are millions of people out there just to have a dip. I remember recently I went to Ujjain city and Kshipra river which is also a holy river and people ask me to have a dip in the river :evil: I denied as water of the river was like a gutter. Though I took bath in Narmada river as water of the river was flowing and was lot more clean. :)
Thank you said by: RobertP
No offense intended here or no intention of hurting anyone's religious feelings, But can anyone explain to me how a dip in the extremely dirty, gutter-like waters will cleanse anyone's sins??? :blink: :blink: :blink: Not to mention the thousands of people of all kinds of hygiene (unhygiene) dipping in them at the same time???

This is just a myth even I don't think its hygenic to take a bath in dirty water specially when there are millions of people out there just to have a dip. I remember recently I went to Ujjain city and Kshipra river which is also a holy river and people ask me to have a dip in the river :evil: I denied as water of the river was like a gutter. Though I took bath in Narmada river as water of the river was flowing and was lot more clean. :)

Good Explanation. I really appreciate your lateral thinking. Keep Rocking!!

Born to express, not to impress.
http://royalrobsideas.blogspot.in/
yes is alot of difference between kumbh mela and Maha kumbha mela. Kumbh mela comes for ever 12 years which is also known as Pushkara. and Maha kumbha mela comes for ever 144 years. So we all are lucky to view it atleast from television.

For you clarity http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-21468921

Slow and Steady Wins the Race.

Thank you said by: Sandhya Rani
yes is alot of difference between kumbh mela and Maha kumbha mela. Kumbh mela comes for ever 12 years which is also known as Pushkara. and Maha kumbha mela comes for ever 144 years. So we all are lucky to view it atleast from television.

For you clarity http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-21468921

Thank you Sarala for clearing my doubt. :) That's why I asked is there any difference between Kumbha Mela and Maha Kumba mela.

there is Maha Rudramahayajnam and Athirudra mahayajnam ...yaga conducted in holy shiva temples of Kerala. There is difference between these two.... Maha Rudramahayajnam is conducted once in a year while Athirudra mahayajnam once in a year. It seems number 12 and term of 12 years is significant to Hindu Mythology, as for Malayalis as whole. It's known as Vyazhavattam.....in our language...Vyazham means Jupiter...Time taken for one revolution of Jupiter is 12 'earth years'. I think all these celebrations are related to it.

During ancient times in Malabar, we had a celebration of Kings known as Mamamkam, once in 12 years. now it's not there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamankam_festival
read it to get the interesting story

most sad part is that Chavers (similar to those who killed Rajiv Gandhi) can never reach the king who has tight security and even after knowing that they will be killed, boys train for 12 years to attend Mamangam festival. :(

Meera sandhu

Yes, Narmada river is probably the only holy river that is left clean now, and Ganga is only clean nearer its origins in the North, elsewhere she is reduced to a dirty gutter, so is the case with all the rivers in India!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

What lateral thinking????

Even i don't know if it is lateral thinking this is just a common sense. :woohoo: :woohoo:

Even i don't know if it is lateral thinking this is just a common sense. :woohoo: :woohoo:

At least for me and you, it IS common sense! :laugh: :laugh:

At least for me and you, it IS common sense! :laugh: :laugh:

Yes I too don't understand that how a dip in dirty water can free us from sins? Anyhow it depends on individual thinking. But i am very depressed with the accidents occurring during this Kubha Mela due to heavy rush.
The Maha Kumbh Mela is now over but it attracted lots of devotees every year and this time also there were devotees gathered near the Ganga River to take a holy bath on it.

Sharmistha Banerjee
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.