Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
What i have understand till now is boddunan have different sections and among all the sections, forums attract more traffic compared to article or polls etc. So, taking any decision regarding forums needs good analysis and experience or else peoplemay loss interest. But it is not good to tolerate spam and duplicate posts simply to increase the traffic. i have a suggestion which is though common can be good for new members.

Maverick
It is nice to see that news letter feature is introduced. Similarly i request you to create a instructions mail regarding rules to follow in forums and mail it or share the link to all the newly registered members. I know it may take time but i strongly feel that new members are often confused in using forums and create duplicate posts or spam knowingly or unknowingly.

Putting some restriction on posts is not good as boddunan has variety of people with different thoughts and ideas. Regarding contest, yes in some thread previosly there was discussion and i think theme based contest can be created as festival season is approaching.

Thanks chinmoy for creating this post and allowing us to share our thoughts. :)
I think lot of topic already there to discuss but members not interested in search. they reply just topics came to front page.

This appears correct. I request members to go through posts made in the last twenty for hours and not just first page. This will give opportunity to give more comments.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

forums are the really main part of boddunan. i really enjoy it but from recent days it is not interesting i thought that only i felt like this but now what i am watching it is really serious topic among all.
Firstly, kudos to Chinmoy for starting this discussion and thanks to Maverick for starting the weekly newsletter.

There are a couple of things I would like to suggest and, looking at present quality of the forum topics, must be done as fast as possible:

1. Revamp the list of moderators - remove the names of those who have been inactive for more than six months, some even more like Karthik. Those who are still present but are not really taking the moderator duty very seriously on a daily basis must be notified. If they are unable to do so because of time constraints, they need to be removed and someone else appointed.

2. Delete ALL and I mean ALL posts that are nothing but links to daily news items. There is nothing interesting in those and hardly encourage any discussion of any kind.

3. If any one is found posting news items again and again, deduct 100 points straight away on first offense. Second offense ban them from revenue share for that particular month. It looks like banning does not work, they come back after ban period and start the same thing again.

4. So many topics such friendship, love, arrange marriage etc. are being repeated so many times! I am really sick of such topics, delete such topics straight away!

All of the above may seem harsh to all, but then time and again these type of problems are repeated and I feel that until now, admin has been very much tolerant and lenient while taking action. So let us try and be more strict now.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

[quote]Similarly i request you to create a instructions mail regarding rules to follow in forums and mail it or share the link to all the newly registered [/quote]
Rajani, good suggestion. Will do it in next newsletter.

[quote]1. Revamp the list of moderators[/quote]
Kalyani, good suggestion again. Need to revamp this list as I mention in my earlier post, the active moderators are needed.

[quote]2. Delete ALL and I mean ALL posts that are nothing but links to daily news items. [/quote]
I believe there are some very good discussions went on the daily news items. May be we need to restrict from now and delete unnecessary ones carefully.

[quote]3. If any one is found posting news items again and again, deduct 100 points straight away [/quote]
Many new people do them unknowingly. We need to educate them first.

[quote]4. So many topics such friendship, love, arrange marriage etc.[/quote]See answer for point 2

When opportunity is in front of you, don't hesitate to catch it. It will never come to you again. - Maverick

Thanks a lot friends for displaying your overwhelming concern for the cause I stand for! If boddunan has to survive it has to do so on the strength of quality alone and we need members who are quality conscious not ones who fill the forum with child-like posts! And I am particularly impressed with the way Maverick, Rajani and Kalyani have responded to this challenge.Now time has to come to talk straight and do things professionally to enable boddunan to find its place in the sun! What do you say?
yes, that right. I agree with chinmoy.and even my self lost interest in answering forums as the quality is lacking and the old forums are repeated

Slow and Steady Wins the Race.

Maverick, thank you for giving your inputs on this!

[quote]2. Delete ALL and I mean ALL posts that are nothing but links to daily news items.

I believe there are some very good discussions went on the daily news items. May be we need to restrict from now and delete unnecessary ones carefully.
[/quote]

Yes, restriction would work, again if ever such posts are created, if there are no responses for a set period of time, then that means they are futile posts and must be deleted. Can something be worked out where the moderators get a notification, say weekly, as to what posts are being ignored with zero replies? They can then be deleted as soon as notification is received? Just a thought here! I know there are many technicalities involved here!

[quote]3. If any one is found posting news items again and again, deduct 100 points straight away

Many new people do them unknowingly. We need to educate them first.[/quote]

Can something be put in place, I have seen it on many websites, unless and until a newly registered user goes through the FAQs and rules and regulations etc, the system does not allow them to post on the forums?? Again a technical issue, but I think that can be worked out.

[quote]
4. So many topics such friendship, love, arrange marriage etc.
See answer for point 2 [/quote]

When a new thread is created for such topics where in discussions are already there on forums, the system gives an alert and brings up those threads, so the user can view them and if they still have something more to add, then they can use those already existing posts!

[quote]Thanks a lot friends for displaying your overwhelming concern for the cause I stand for! If boddunan has to survive it has to do so on the strength of quality alone and we need members who are quality conscious not ones who fill the forum with child-like posts! And I am particularly impressed with the way Maverick, Rajani and Kalyani have responded to this challenge.Now time has to come to talk straight and do things professionally to enable boddunan to find its place in the sun! What do you say? [/quote]

Thank you Chinmoy! you are right, what we need here is a much more professional approach with regards to forum. It will definitely deter those who are not so quality conscious and it may also prevent many from joining, but then in the long run, it is only going to prove beneficial for boddunan.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani,

Thanks for your inputs. There needs to be some technical things involved in setting up such things and any technical support will not come cheap. So it would take some time. I will make sure most, if not all, suggestions implemented.

When opportunity is in front of you, don't hesitate to catch it. It will never come to you again. - Maverick

I have been keeping away from forums for some days due to my official works targetted to complete by Sept 30th.

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.