Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
This turn had come recently when privatisation started in education field aslo.

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
@Rajesh

Firstly I have very strong reservations calling education a mere commodity.It transcends any such concept! Education is not only a means to earn to make a living out of it but some other higher purposes also! Commodification of education is dangerous thing and we need not imitate the West particularly the US in this regard!!
Calling or not calling education a commodity, is not the crux of the matter.What i meant is, since people treat education like business , it will be explored in totality.And totality includes competition which inturn is better for the end user,i.e. students in this case.Only thing to be pointed out is COMPETITION MUST BE HEALTHY.And SIR, there is no gainsaying your words"EDUCATION HAS HIGHER PURPOSES".I agree to this in entirity.
Has the discussion been concluded by Rajesh? :P :P :P
@Rajesh

Very nice to have your views! First I don't believe people treat it as business rather they are made to treat it so! The goals of business and education are different and if I am to put them these are profit maximization and academic excellence.And business too can be carried on in completely different manners.The Reddy brothers who run mining industry and Mr. Murthy's Infosys follow two completely different business models.It's not the point- I know.Competition is always desirable and exploration of the field your are talking about is also laudable but the sad truth the private capital that is currently flowing into it is neither promoting academic excellence nor academic competition.All our prestigious academic centres of excellence are all in the government-controlled public sector.If there should be competition,it should in the realm of academic excellence- let them outexcel one another but not in fleecing the students and their parents!!
Now a days everything is business. Education is also business. There is nothing wrong if high standards of education and adherence to law and rules are observed.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Just a brief glance at the relevant portions of our Constitution would make it abundantly clear that education was never meant to be abusiness by the founding fathers of the Constitution and it's the fundamental duty of the government to ensure the right to education of the citizens is duly respected and implemented.And the recent passing of the Act providing compulsory education is a just a recognition of this fact.With all talk of privatization what it has achieved!Is there any institution in the private sector matching the standards of our IITs.What it has produced is a number institutions which sell dreams to the mediocre and fleece them to produce sub-standard engineers and doctors.We have private engineering colleges which charge laboratory fees without creating laboratory facilities!
Yes, I agree with you Chinmoy. There are many private colleges in and around chennai which are run by politicians and cine actors.Many of these colleges doesn't have a proper approval and the basic facilities are also missing.
Friends I also agree with you. Education has totally become a business. We are buying good marks with some bundles of money. Teachers/Professors are ready to supply us question papers for money. On the other hand, Principal is ready to provide us with good marks and credits if your parents give big donation to the institution.
After passing out, when we face interviews, we are not presentable. We get big zero. Therefore we some how manage to provide bribe to our employers too. That's why, honest and innocent peoples are suffering in India.Weightage is not provided according to quality and skills of the talented people.
On the other hand,Many institutions have cropped up which promise to give us employment after completing a cetain course from their institution. Hence, students are tanking admission for differnt courses but getting no job.The owners of such institutions are earning money by opening such institutions. At the end, they offer teaching job in that institution for Rs.1000 or Rs.2000 whereas their course fee is around Rs. 5,00,000 or more. Their real motive is money but not education.
:angry: :angry: :angry:
Devyani,You have expressed your thoughts very clearly.This is the problem every student face in his day today life. :( :(
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.