With the disintegration of the joint family system , many things changed in our society. As families became nuclear and self sufficient, it also made them less dependent on the mostly agriculture based ancestral homes. This has also had an effect on relationships within the family and family values which were upheld within the joint family system or even within a traditional Indian family ..
Change is of course a necessary part of life and every change has its positive and negative aspects ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Yes, family values and along with it social values too have undergone drastic changes. Now it has become more of an I in everything rather than WE Self benefit and self realisation is preferred more over everything else, even if it may harm others' interests. People have become more individualistic and selfish to such an extent, that it is breaking the moral fabric of our society!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Yes, family values and along with it social values too have undergone drastic changes. Now it has become more of an I in everything rather than WE Self benefit and self realisation is preferred more over everything else, even if it may harm others' interests. People have become more individualistic and selfish to such an extent, that it is breaking the moral fabric of our society!

Yes very true Kalyani, what is even more unfortunate is the convenient way people pass the buck and blame it on the West ! They have their own culture and we should realise that it is as precious to them as it is to us.They have traditions and values just like we have, just that they do it differently ..
I feel that the positive impact has been with regard to women gaining a lot more opportunities and financial freedom.Of course that too has its own consequences ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

although rural families have disintegrated and nuclear families have substituted the joint family as a result of migration to cities for job. But the join family system is still prevalent in business families in urban areas. But this sort of joint family is really a compulsion as the young couples depend on joint business and property for their survival. They may even envy their own employees living 'free' as nuclear family.

The nuclear families raise problem of care of old as well as children. Formerly kids were well looked after in joint family by the elders, aunts, aunties, cousins. Similarly, the aged were fully cared for.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Yes because of prefernce to the nuclear family family values has reduced. :evil:

People have become selfish these days they don't care even for their parents they just want themselves to be in comfort.In olden days all family used to come forward when any one of the member used to be in trouble but these days I hardly find all members coming forward as a team. I think we have forgotten that "Unity is a strength". :evil:
Yes due to money taking a major part in between the relations the values have changed completely.

Earn money just for joining in this site.

http://www.money-friends.net/users/profile/en/155119.html

Yes very true Kalyani, what is even more unfortunate is the convenient way people pass the buck and blame it on the West ! They have their own culture and we should realise that it is as precious to them as it is to us.They have traditions and values just like we have, just that they do it differently ..
I feel that the positive impact has been with regard to women gaining a lot more opportunities and financial freedom.Of course that too has its own consequences ...

True, everything that goes against the established norms is all blamed on the West! But what is conveniently forgotten is that the children are encouraged to become independent and to take their own decisions from early on and equal respect is also given to the parents' relationship with each other as a man and a wife. But here, the format is more like a mother and father first and husband and wife later, which is actually not fair to the couple. This especially happens in joint families where there are more members to be tended to and the reason why more and more couples are opting out of joint families. But sadly, there is no balance to strike between wanting to be independent and free from shackles of responsibilities, and totally ignoring your parents and other relations outside immediate families! This is not what happens in the West. They are independent through and through and do not keep blaming others for that!

Yes due to money taking a major part in between the relations the values have changed completely.

Yes, money does play a great role in changing the dynamics of our society with more and more women needing to work outside the homes.

I believe in development and modernisation which includes adaption of positive aspects. In such a case, if a family needs to change their ideas and traditional customs, that should be done.

True, everything that goes against the established norms is all blamed on the West! But what is conveniently forgotten is that the children are encouraged to become independent and to take their own decisions from early on and equal respect is also given to the parents' relationship with each other as a man and a wife. But here, the format is more like a mother and father first and husband and wife later, which is actually not fair to the couple. This especially happens in joint families where there are more members to be tended to and the reason why more and more couples are opting out of joint families. But sadly, there is no balance to strike between wanting to be independent and free from shackles of responsibilities, and totally ignoring your parents and other relations outside immediate families! This is not what happens in the West. They are independent through and through and do not keep blaming others for that!

Very true ! Joint families did serve a purpose when our society was still evolving and to a certain extent it still has its importance, more so in villages where people live together or close to one another on the same shared property.
But it is of course a totally different story in cities and people go all out to be independent disregarding even the basic values that has been taught to them...and when things go wrong blame it on someone else ..

Staying in joint family has disappeared from our society.In very rare house we find joint family.This mainly happens because of the work.Most of them were separated for their work.Together staying has many advantages and also disadvantages.If we are together we can share our work can help each other in their problem.But sometimes this might not liked by others .some need freedom.

Sharmistha Banerjee
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.