MV Khalija-III and MSC Chitra, both from Panama - loaded with containers containing dry cargo collided near Mumbai today morning around 9:45 am. The accident occurred when MV Khalija was was attempting to berth at the Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT).

All the 33 sailors from the two ships were rescued and shifted to shore aboard ICG tug Vamsee-III, with no reports of injuries to any of them.

See full details on:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/mumbai/Panamanian-ships-collide-near-Mumbai-33-sailors-rescued/articleshow/6271079.cms

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
The collided ship Chitra is badly listing to one side and caused some oil slick. Efforts are now on to contain the oil slick. Six coastguard ships are working to minimise the impact of the spill from the Panamanian-registered MSC Chitra, while a coastguard helicopter dropped oil-dispersal spray on the slick.

Environmental emergency teams have been put on alert to mobilise for a clean-up operation should the oil reach land, while fishermen have been told not to put to sea until the all-clear has been given.

Some 200 containers have fallen from the ship and are being collected. Broken patches of oil have been cleared around Elephanta Island, a World Heritage Site and tourist attraction in Mumbai Harbour, the defence ministry said in a statement on Sunday evening.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

its a real unfortunate incidence, very rare to see ships collide .
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.