The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I have seen some articles written by Indians who would have thought in their mothertongue and translated the sentences into English while writing the article ! It does sound odd because they would have made an exact copy - for example in Kannada we say ' neevu hege iddeeri? which means how are you ? but an actual translation goes You how are ? I have actually seen some writers do this ...I feel that when you write in English, you cannot make any excuses saying that since it is not your mother tongue, anything goes...

Absolutely true! We tend to be under overpowering influence of our respective mother tongues that effects could be so unnaturally funny!!!

That is likely to happen in the learning stage. But when one gets used to the laungage and can use it confidently, I am sure, the fear and the (unwarranted fun) will go away.

I can't be authoritatively conclusive as to when one's precisely a learner or a master as I honestly believe that learning itself is a continuous process!!!

Very true ! Here talking about articles , each site has differen expectations and we write accordingly and learn something new with each article we write...

Thanks Usha! As I have already said it all in my last post that it's a lot more prudent to be a student than a self-proclaimed master!!!
Thank you said by: usha manohar
I have seen some articles written by Indians who would have thought in their mothertongue and translated the sentences into English while writing the article ! It does sound odd because they would have made an exact copy - for example in Kannada we say ' neevu hege iddeeri? which means how are you ? but an actual translation goes You how are ? I have actually seen some writers do this ...I feel that when you write in English, you cannot make any excuses saying that since it is not your mother tongue, anything goes...

Absolutely true! We tend to be under overpowering influence of our respective mother tongues that effects could be so unnaturally funny!!!

That is likely to happen in the learning stage. But when one gets used to the laungage and can use it confidently, I am sure, the fear and the (unwarranted fun) will go away.

Although a tough task for me but I try to commit lesser mistakes next time around but it is most unlikely that I shall ever be able to attain the same level as native English writers can do. I shall be thankful if I could reach at 1/2 their way. A tough task for anyone who is not born to think in English or language he is attempting to write in. One misses slang, idioms and expressions. More so if he is on multiple attempts, all at the same time. One gotta be exceptionally good to do that.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Although a tough task for me but I try to commit lesser mistakes next time around but it is most unlikely that I shall ever be able to attain the same level as native English writers can do. I shall be thankful if I could reach at 1/2 their way. A tough task for anyone who is not born to think in English or language he is attempting to write in. One misses slang, idioms and expressions. More so if he is on multiple attempts, all at the same time. One gotta be exceptionally good to do that.

Yes definitely ! Even if we can perfect our grammar we will not be able to learn all the uasages since there are ever so many ways of saying the same thing. When you read the writings of some good authors, even fiction, you come across many such usages which you were totally unaware of. We learn from text books and interact mostly with Indians who have learnt the same way , we also have some very limited interactions on the net with others wioch doesn't really give us the scope to get deep into the spoken language...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I think this can be possible for those people who are merely born in India, but brought up in English speaking countries like the US and the UK. People of Indian origin there speak exactly the American people.

I think this can be possible for those people who are merely born in India, but brought up in English speaking countries like the US and the UK. People of Indian origin there speak exactly the American people.

No, I do not have such people in my mind who were brought up or even settled there for some time now in UK, US or other English speaking countries or even people in India who are trained to handle literature/language. I am only talking about ordinary people like me, who will never be able to do it the way some people are capable to do it. We have examples of such people even on this site.

At a time I can write for only one article.

Thanks we have discussed this topic enough.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.