This is not a trick question.Its a serious question which can be solved using simple logic or common sense.

I HAVE A REQUEST.

PLEASE DON'T SEE THE ANSWER POSTED BY OTHERS.FIRST TRY TO SOLVE IT YOURSELF,THEN YOU SUBMIT THE ANSWER AND THEN ONLY CHECK OTHER REPLY ON THIS THREAD.

Q.)
*You have two sticks with you and a matchbox
*Each stick takes 1 hour to burn completely.
So if i put fire at one end of a stick,by the time the stick completely burn,i know 1 hour has passed
So my question
HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHEN ITS 45 MINUTES?

So i want to know when 45 minutes has passed from this point of time.For sake of some physics student,take time=0 now.I want to know when its 45 minutes after that moment,just by using the above facts.

To clear some doubts...
There is no watch,
The sticks cant be kept parallel,
You cant break the sticks,
You cant put markings on the stick.,like 1/4,1/2 and 3/4
dont think much about match box.etc.

A tip : make a direct approach to the question.there is no trick.

I WILL POST THE ANSWER ON FRIDAY NIGHT 8pm.(18th december)
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
did anyone try??? :( its a good question!
I am trying.Give me some more time because it need some relaxed time to do.Between work it is impossible.

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
Sure...take your time..friday night only i will post the answer..There was no reply..so i asked :)
It appears a difficult question... anyways here is a probable answer:

Light the 1st stick

With the help of 1st burning stick light the tail-end of the 2nd stick

Let 1/4th of the 2nd stick burn and extinguish it leaving 3/4th of it intact

Now you are left with the 2nd stick with a length that will burn for 45 minutes

Burn it for its full length... that is 45 minutes

(don't laugh if it is childish) :dry: ;) :(

Harish Jharia
http://harishjhariasblog.blogspot.com/
Harish bhai
nice try..Though your answer has some clue leading to the solution,it is not correct.
Basic mistake is that you cant put markings on the stick like 1/4th 1/2 or 3/4th..you cant estimate the point on the stick which makes the 1/4th.Also you can use any number of match sticks.No need to use the first stick to light the second stick.
I truly believe,if you try again you will get the answer.your present answer has some hints hidden in it.Please try once more.And thank you very much for the response.I will make some correction in the question to clear more doubts.

everyone please try...
I wont put any more response in this thread until Friday 8pm.
hi all,
i am posting the answer to the question...

ANSWER:

First take both the sticks and burn both ends of one stick and one end of the second stick at the same moment
So by the time fire from the both ends of first stick meet at the center the time is half hour
At this time the second stick also must have reached the half hour spot.
At that moment when the both ends of first stick meet at the middle light the other end of the second stick.Now fire from the other end as well as the fire which is already burning will meet again at half of the remaining part..That is again 15 min after the half hour..So by the time the second part of second stick meet fire from both ends its 45 minutes!!!

if you didn't understand read once more and still if you have doubts put a post and i will explain in little more simple terms.
It was a nice puzzle .... And the solution was even better
I was just wondering about "HOW??"

Download latest movies
With low size
High Quality
BMovies.page.tl
Yes, nice logical puzzle. Actually, I read the question somewhere else but I could not get/understand the solution then.. Now it much clearer. The only thing is that we need to be quick in lighting the other end of the second stick as soon as it reaches half the stick.. :)
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.