Sometimes I feel like getting alone at a place filled with nature, and I feel some unknown discomfort or a kind of fear when I am around people. It is not on a big scale, because whole day I am surrounded by people around me, but I think it is there. I think there are people who consider me arrogant because they think that I act that way.
The main place where this fear reflects out in my behavior is the public toilets. I have this specific phobia known as the "Shy bladder syndrome". I am not able to urinate when there are people around me, I need a peaceful place to do that, which is hard to find these days. I have read about it, and it might result in the low self confidence or low self esteem.
Have you heard of it before, if yes then please write down here, and any helpful advise is also welcome.

Run, take rest, run , take rest, run, take rest...................--->>>>>
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
it is due to the fear developed from child hood. you might be from rural back ground. there are many more with this problem. you are more concentrating on your next man as if he is observing you, than urinating.

served in iaf for 30 years on mig aircraft. blind believer of spiritual life, interested in exchange of healthy views besides learning from you all.
Thank you said by: SANJAY KUMAR
Sometimes I feel like getting alone at a place filled with nature, and I feel some unknown discomfort or a kind of fear when I am around people. It is not on a big scale, because whole day I am surrounded by people around me, but I think it is there. I think there are people who consider me arrogant because they think that I act that way.
The main place where this fear reflects out in my behavior is the public toilets. I have this specific phobia known as the "Shy bladder syndrome". I am not able to urinate when there are people around me, I need a peaceful place to do that, which is hard to find these days. I have read about it, and it might result in the low self confidence or low self esteem.
Have you heard of it before, if yes then please write down here, and any helpful advise is also welcome.

Also known as Paruresis,"Shy bladder syndrome" can be treated successfully by Hypnosis. Consult a Psychologist for treatment, as its more of a psychological problem.
In the mean time don't drink any fluids before you leave home.
I also suffer from this. I never knew that this is shy bladder syndrome. This is part of my nature since childhood. All have different habits and inhibitions. In a way, this is good. Many urinate at any place especially when it is dark. Using public toilet is best. There is a tendency just contrary to what you described. Many suffer from the disorder of exhibitionism which means that they would be more pleased to urinate in a crowd.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

it is due to the fear developed from child hood. you might be from rural back ground. there are many more with this problem. you are more concentrating on your next man as if he is observing you, than urinating.

I can remember that it is with me since the age of 10. I went to a public toilet and there was one person, who was known to me, but I was just curious enough to know if he notices me or not. I was not able to urinate, because I felt bad when he didn't notice me. I came back and told my father that I didn't urinate for no reason. I also told about that person, and I told him that I didn't talk to him, because he didn't notice me.
This is just one memory, there are then other memories which I can remember because I was not able to urinate there in the toilet. I felt bad every time when I had to face it, because I didn't know what it is. Now after getting the knowledge, I feel more comfortable about myself. I have noticed that these days I am getting near to cure with it, because I am not shy to hide it from people, I discuss it with others, and many have it with them. So it is quite normal now.

Also known as Paruresis,"Shy bladder syndrome" can be treated successfully by Hypnosis. Consult a Psychologist for treatment, as its more of a psychological problem.
In the mean time don't drink any fluids before you leave home.

It is hard to find any psychologist here, in the busy schedules of the work. I discussed it with my elder brother too, and he said that it is a normal thing, and you will become comfortable around people in a very short time. So I gave up the idea of the Psychologist, and I think I am able to eliminate this from my mind to degree now. I can do it sometimes now, even when the friends are around me. It might sound absurd for other people, but urinating while other people around me is a success for me.

I also suffer from this. I never knew that this is shy bladder syndrome. This is part of my nature since childhood. All have different habits and inhibitions. In a way, this is good. Many urinate at any place especially when it is dark. Using public toilet is best. There is a tendency just contrary to what you described. Many suffer from the disorder of exhibitionism which means that they would be more pleased to urinate in a crowd.

Around the 7 to 10% (I don't have the exact data) of the Americans suffer from the Paruresis, so you can find a man among the 10 who is having it with him. It is mainly there in men, so it is normal thing. I discovered about this only 5 to six months back, and now I am comfortable to talk about it in front of anyone.
The problem is that people don't want to talk about, because the easiest job in this world for them, to urinate, no matter where, when and how, but it is the hardest job for me, or others suffering from Paruresis. I think you also will get the relief when you know that you are not alone here. People don't talk about it even if it is with them, but I think you are courageous enough to do it here. Thank you for sharing. If you find anything more about it, please share.

I had never heard about this, also wonder if it is found only among men ? I found ths link on the net Sanjay, there are some useful details about this syndrome...

http://www.canadianliving.com/health/prevention/shy_bladder_what_it_is_and_what_to_do_about_it.php

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

If any one suffer from this problem then i think they must consult with some good doctor.

Sharmistha Banerjee
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.