Too much white wine can rot your teeth, dental experts have warned .

The experts claimed that wines like Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, and Riesling are more likely to wear away protective tooth enamel than reds like Rioja and Merlot.

According to the docs from Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz, Germany, prolonged contact with white wine erodes the calcium layer on teeth more quickly than red wines, reports The Daily Express.

To reach the conclusion, scientists compared the erosive effects of eight red and white wines from Germany, France, Italy and Spain on the enamel surface of extracted human teeth.

From analyses, scientists found that white wines caused "significantly" more erosion of teeth enamel. Co-author Brita Willershausena said: "Within the limits of this study, it can be predicted that frequent consumption of white wines might lead to severe dental erosion."

The study has been published in the science journal Nutrition Research .
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
White wine can leave your teeth stained:

Think you’re doing your teeth a favor by sipping white wine instead of tea or coffee? Well, its time you rework the tooth-whitening mantra, for a new study has found that the transparent beverage increases the risk of dark dental stains.

In the study, NYU dental researchers compared two sets of six cow teeth, whose surface closely resembles that of human teeth, and used a spectrophotometer, an instrument that measures color intensities, to evaluate staining levels.

They found that teeth soaked for one hour in white wine before being immersed in black tea had significantly darker stains than teeth immersed for one hour in water before exposure to the tea.

“Dipping teeth in white wine for one hour is similar to the effect of sipping the wine with dinner,” said Dr. Mark Wolff, Professor and Chairman of the Department of Cariology & Comprehensive Care at New York University College of Dentistry, who oversaw the study, which was led by Ms. Cristina M. Dobrescu, a third-year student at New York University College of Dentistry.

The study will be presented at the annual meeting of the International Association for Dental Research in Miami.

“The acids in wine create rough spots and grooves that enable chemicals in other beverages that cause staining, such as coffee and tea, to penetrate deeper into the tooth,” Dr. Wolff explained.

However, when the researchers repeated the experiment with red wine, the resulting stains were significantly darker than those in the white wine group.

“Red wine, unlike white, contains a highly-pigmented substance known as chromogen,” explained Dr. Wolff.

But he added that connoisseurs concerned about staining need not cut back on their consumption.

“The best way to prevent staining caused by wine, as well as other beverages, is to use a toothpaste containing a whitening agent,” advised Dr. Wolff. (ANI)
Drinking wine can damage your teeth. That’s the conclusion of a report from the Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz, Germany. Researchers tested the effects of eight red and eight white wines on teeth from men and women aged between 40 to 65. They discovered all of the wines damaged the enamel that protects our teeth. This makes our teeth more sensitive to hot and cold food and drinks. It also means the teeth will stain quicker if someone drinks coffee. The research team said white wine causes more damage than red. The acid in white wines attacks the enamel and wears it away. The bad news is that brushing your teeth after drinking wine will only make things worse. Wine drinkers previously thought red wine was worse for your teeth.
Well no problems with me, i don't drink.Thanks for sharing...
i too dont consume any wine so no problem but it is very good information for wine takers.
Dear Friend,

all those wine lover be careful about this. Thanks for sharing this.

Regard's
Bharat.
May I know what is the difference between white wine and red wine?.I have posted the question in other thread too. :) :)
actually i never drink wine but if i do i will remember this thanks for sharing that good one information
Thanks for this information.. i have never tasted White wine..
This would be a shocking information for all people who consume white wine. ;) .But still I could not get the difference between white and red wine.
This was a wonderful information for the people who consume wine regularly.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.