The topic is locked.
This the painting done by the Indian artist Syed Haider Raza which has earned him the rare honor of producing the hightest paid $3.5 million modern Indian work.
_48054476_picture.jpg (You do not have access to download this file.)
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
very nice. So, even after M. Hussain's departure to another country, we have best painters. However, I cannot evaluate paintings. I fail to understand how these fetch so much amount.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Yes Gulshan, I feel very proud of this fact but fail to understand the price it commanded.
@Chinmoy, The fact that an Indian can command such a price is good, but the painting is not! Also it is the various art dealers and gallery owners who dictate the price of any painting!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

This is a very good and a prouding news for India...

Really, we have great artists in our country...

Aastha Gupta
@Kalyani,

I am not an art buff but most of them are known as surrealistic!You are right that the prices are determined by an influential section of art dealers.
@Chinmoy, this is not surrealism!!

The paintings that you see by Raza, Hussain etc belong to the modernism genre of paintings! Modernism was the movement started post-1948 by a group of artists including, Hussain, Raza, Ara, and a few others. This movement was significant in that they totally opposed the traditional ways and everything that was beautiful and appealing!!They only wante dto highlight and uplift the negative traits in the art and because of policies of Nehru and subsequent govts. the movement succeeded! Hence these paintings generate so much income!

Thanks Kalyani for making me aware of the niceties of it.Highlighting and uflifting the negative aspects of art and making such awful pots of money! Oh,my god!
@Chinmoy, I am sure you are aware of paintings of Raja Ravi Varma and I am sure like most of us, you like his work!!

To reiterate my point, I will tell you a fact! SOme years ago, Mr. Not-so-Reverent Hussain spearheaded a major movement in India along with a bunch of modernistic painters. He published a declaration stating that Raja Ravi Varma is NOT an artist and sought signatures from the residents of India. There was a lot of name calling and abuse hurling at Raja Ravi Varma and other realistic painters!

And now the Kerala Govt. honoured the same Mr. Hussain very recently saying that he is a great painter!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.