Today is the 158th birth anniversary of the great freedom fighter Bal Gangadhar Tilak, popularly know as Lokmanya Tilak. He ignited the spark of patriotism with a call for 'Swaraj' . A brilliant scholar, mathematician and philosopher , he also founded and presided the Indian Home Rule League. Imprisoned in Mandalay jail in Burma for six years, he wrote the famous "Geeta Rahasya' an interpretation of Shrimad Bhagvad Geeta in which he discarded the original theory of renunciation but that the Geeta teaches only selfless service to humanity. A sincere tribute to this great person!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Bal Gangadhar Tilak was prominent in the Radical group of Congress. He was in the trio- with Lala Lajpat Rai and Bipin Chand Pal- the three popularly known as Bal, Pal, Pal. Tilak gave the slogan- Freedom is my birthright. Earlier, Congress was fighting only for more facilities for Indians like greater share in bureaucracy viz. Indian Civil Service and grant of dominion status.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
Today is the 158th birth anniversary of the great freedom fighter Bal Gangadhar Tilak, popularly know as Lokmanya Tilak. He ignited the spark of patriotism with a call for 'Swaraj' . A brilliant scholar, mathematician and philosopher , he also founded and presided the Indian Home Rule League. Imprisoned in Mandalay jail in Burma for six years, he wrote the famous "Geeta Rahasya' an interpretation of Shrimad Bhagvad Geeta in which he discarded the original theory of renunciation but that the Geeta teaches only selfless service to humanity. A sincere tribute to this great person!

His title "Lokmanya" ( accepted by all as the leader) itself speaks volumes about this great freedom fighter. My humble tributes to this great soil.
Whenever I get to read about Tilak..the famous trio Lal, Bal, Pal comes to my mind. These three eminent leaders belong to the extremist group of freedom fighters.These three eminent personalities initiated the fight against British Raj before Gandhi came into the picture. My sincere tribute to the great freedom fighter.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Whenever I get to read about Tilak..the famous trio Lal, Bal, Pal comes to my mind. These three eminent leaders belong to the extremist group of freedom fighters.These three eminent personalities initiated the fight against British Raj before Gandhi came into the picture. My sincere tribute to the great freedom fighter.

His single point agenda was "Swarajya". Self Rule.

I think Tilak is credited with the idea of celebrating the Ganesh Festival in public as the British could not ban it. But under the guise of a religious festival the spark of freedom was ignited by him. A great contribution which has continued today also.
He is the great freedom fighter. He found All India Home Rule League with Anni pesant. We are now living peacefully because of these great leaders.
Great to know his Anniversary. He is really greatest freedom fighter and his memory remain in the soul of India's people for longer duration.

I think Tilak is credited with the idea of celebrating the Ganesh Festival in public as the British could not ban it. But under the guise of a religious festival the spark of freedom was ignited by him. A great contribution which has continued today also.

Yes...actually Ganesh Festival was celebrated publicly even before that but it was limited to only the religious aspect of it. Lokmanya Tilak turned it into a celebration where people were invited to perform bhajans, kirtans, discourses etc. all of which revolved around the idea of spreading awareness of freedom, education etc. and gave people home in in their lives. He gave people the confidence that had been missing due to years of living under repressive rule of the British.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

We ignored another freedom fighter and revolutionary Chandra shekhar Azad, whose birthday also is same as that of Bal Gangadhar Tilak. shelhar Aemained 'azad' till end and killed himself before capture by British.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.