Health benefits of Onions

No Indian meal is complete without onions. Onions (Allium cepa) belong to the lily family, the same family as garlic, leeks, chives, scallions and shallots. It is effective against many bacteria including Bacillus subtilis, Salmonella, and E.coli. They are not as potent as garlic since the sulfur compounds in onion are only about one-quarter the level found in garlic.

The benefits of this bulb is that they have a variety of medicinal effects. It is part of ancient Indian home remedies to treat dysentery, flatulence and piles. It is also used to treat skin disorders including leukoderma and scabies. Other health conditions treated with help of onions are malarial fever, dyspepsia, hypotension, vertigo, epilepsy and migraine. Early American settlers used wild onions to treat colds, coughs, and asthma, and to repel insects. In Chinese medicine, onions have been used to treat angina, coughs, bacterial infections, and breathing problems.

The World Health Organization (WHO) supports the use of onions for the treatment of poor appetite and to prevent atherosclerosis. In addition, onion extracts are recognised by WHO for providing relief in the treatment of coughs and colds, asthma and bronchitis. Onions are known to decrease bronchial spasms. An onion extract was found to decrease allergy-induced bronchial constriction in asthma patients.

The onion peels can be used to hair care. Little is known about the remedy because of the drawback of the smell it leaves in the hair. Nevertheless, the remedy adds luster to the hair and makes them small. For this, collect onion skin and boil with water for about an hour. Let it cool. Use this mixture on hair after shampooing. Wash it several times and then give a final rinse with water.

Bruise can be healed with paste of fresh onion bulbs. Take bandage and apply sweet almonds oil or olive oil on it. Apply a little of raw onion paste and put the bandage on the bruise.

The smaller the onions, the more pungent they are and they are the ones that make your eyes water when you cut them, when the organic sulphur is released.

This bulb is a powerful anti-septic that is rich in vitamins A, B and C. It is a potent source of folic acid, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, chromium, iron and dietary fiber. Research has shown onions to have strong anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-allergic actions, which could be why they are the starting point of choice for the cuisine of so many cultures around the world. Ancient records reveal that onions have been used as far back as 4000 B.C. as a cure-all for many illnesses. In WW II, the vapors of onion paste was used to reduce the pain and accelerated the healing of soldiers' wounds.

Even now, we find many medicinal properties from this powerful bulb. The high content of iron in onion makes it beneficial for the treatment of anemia, while just by eating half a medium raw onion daily can significantly lower cholesterol and help prevent heart attacks.

If you suffer from blood pressure issues, onions help to lower blood pressure naturally. It also thins the blood, dissolve blood clots and clear the blood of unhealthy fats. And, eating half a medium raw onion daily significantly helps to correct thrombosis, lower the LDL cholesterol and prevents heart attacks. In fact, a compound has recently been identified in onions that prevents the activities of breaking down bone. Especially beneficial for women who are at risk for osteoporosis as they go through menopause.

A good way to solve respiratory problems is to mix equal amounts of onion juice and honey and take 3-4 teaspoons of this mixture daily. It helps liquefy mucus and prevents its further formation. It is also one of the best preventive potion against common cold.

And, last but definitely not the least, onions are a potent aphrodisiac and stands second only to garlic.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Except for the tears which we get when we cut onions,rest all is fine with it. :P :P
A good source of knowledge given on onions. I am punjabi and my mother used to put onions in every gravy food she cook. Onions are really important.

Want to make each day Accountable

Yes, onions are very important for health. and daily consumption can cure some problems too. Thanks for educating us Neetu with the benefits. :)
Personally, I do not like raw onions but take vegetables with onion input. The advantages of onion have been well explained. But I do not know why many Brahmins dislike onions.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Yesterday the price of Onion touched Rs 30 per kilogram!Is it due to this post ????

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
Ronark,Share some Punjabi dishes with us.Hope you don't mind. :P :) :)
Abid Areacode wrote:
[quote]Yesterday the price of Onion touched Rs 30 per kilogram!Is it due to this post ????[/quote]

Increasing price of onions drove BJP leader Madan lal Kharan out of power. Onion is very important to Punajbis.

many of Punbabi dishes like rajmah (kidney nuts) need use of onions. This explains the secret behind good health of Punjabis.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Abid Areacode wrote:
[quote]Yesterday the price of Onion touched Rs 30 per kilogram!Is it due to this post ????[/quote]

oh really i have no idea about the price.....since i'm jain so we don't consume onions...
gulshan kumar ajmani wrote:
[quote]But I do not know why many Brahmins dislike onions.[/quote]

There are some castes in Hinduism who do not consume onions as it is treated as Non-veg..Even Jains do not consume them...Dislike is not the reason but customs are like that... :)
it is not allowed in jainism to consume onions...Religion do not permit.But there are many jains who do consume onions regularly...
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.