Delhi govt has a new theme song for Games

AS OSCAR - winning musician A. R. Rahman's official theme song for the Delhi Commonwealth Games draws more brickbats than bouquets, the state government on Thursday unveiled its own song for the event.

Punjabi pop singer Daler Mehndi has laced the fastpaced song titled Khel Le with Bhangra beats that usually hit the right note in north India.

He unveiled the song on Thursday, performing live in front of chief minister Sheila Dikshit and top bureaucrats at a function where the government launched its revamped tourism website.

"I was asked to prepare the song two-three days back. I have made a lot of effort in this short time and I hope people like this song," Mehndi said.

Several people, including Commonwealth Games executive board member V. K. Malhotra, had criticised Rahman's song, India Bula Liya , for being slow paced.

Rahman was paid over '5 crore for composing the official theme song. But while releasing his song, Mehndi said he made the song "free of cost for India". Before unveiling the song, Dikshit launched a 24-hour telephone help centre for all kinds of information about Delhi and a tourism website providing a range of services.

"Delhi ranks number one in foreign tourist arrivals. This makes it vital for it to have a robust tourist guidance system in place," Dikshit said.

She said the online and phone facility (telephone number '1280') would make Delhirelated information and services more accessible.

Tourists can download thematic city maps, information brochures and informative videos to plan their trip better.

Information on hotels, bed and breakfast establishments, transport services, currency converter and weather updates besides detailed information on the city's heritage, will be available at the click of a mouse.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
The state government is better advised to address far more serious issues than adding one more song!
They could concentrate more on how to successfully host the CWG rater than song issue. :)
That's right,Nagalakshmi! It's our preoccupation with peripheral issues that has brought the situation to such a sorry pass!
[quote]They could concentrate more on how to successfully host the CWG rater than song issue. [/quote]

I'm completely agree with you!!

Theme song is not a big issue instead of games.. :)
The upcoming controvosies really fade the pride of India. Media should stop hyping such petty issues. They should play an important role to boost our country to do better.
I think making a good song adds to the glamor and the success of CWG
Forget all about adding glamour.As things stand we are struggling to save our faces!!!
I really dont understand why delhi goverment is thinking for new theme song...Thanks for sharing the news.
After sitting for years on completion of various civil constructions the Delhi Government is turning its attention to music which is not that sweet!!
Thanks for sharing the information, Sajeetharan.I feel proper infrastructure would be good than a glamorous music. :)
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.