The Goan C.M. has described the Christian as 'culturally Hindu'. One day, we may hear of Muslims also as 'culturally Hindu'. It is understandable that we are all culturally Indian. what does this 'culturally Hindu' mean. In same breath, he talked of 'Hindu nation'.

This reveals dangerous intention of the saffron brigade.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/goa/catholics-in-goa-are-culturally-hindu-manohar-parrikar_874293.html

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
The Goan C.M. has described the Christian as 'culturally Hindu'. One day, we may hear of Muslims also as 'culturally Hindu'. It is understandable that we are all culturally Indian. what does this 'culturally Hindu' mean. In same breath, he talked of 'Hindu nation'.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/goa/catholics-in-goa-are-culturally-hindu-manohar-parrikar_874293.html
It might be, as per supreme court's ruling the definition of Hindu as a culture not a religion, may be he tries to emphasize this, when I was posted at Kerala, I came across to know about Christian communities there who have bindi and sindur after marriage just like Hindu newly wed lady, but they are Christians and they said, Christianity in the pure form reach there at the first century AD, perhaps Goan CM tries to say Hindu not as a religion but as a culture, Indonesia though a Muslim dominated country, but they are proud of their version of Ramayana, so it is all about past culture, as Hinduism is the oldest religion in the world, so somewhere in the past their antecedents were following Hindu culture.

http://mohanmekap.com/

Thank you said by: usha manohar
It’s a misconception that Hinduism is a religion. Hinduism is a way of life. Like other religions there is no founder for Hinduism. Its also known as Sanatana Dharma. It means there is neither a beginning nor ending of Hinduism. Dharma doesn’t mean religion. Walk on the left side of the road is a simple example of Dharma. If you don’t follow Dharma you will become a victim of accident. There is no rigidity in this. Follow it for your own good.Or leave it.
Thank you said by: mohan manohar

It might be, as per supreme court's ruling the definition of Hindu as a culture not a religion, may be he tries to emphasize this, when I was posted at Kerala, I came across to know about Christian communities there who have bindi and sindur after marriage just like Hindu newly wed lady, but they are Christians and they said, Christianity in the pure form reach there at the first century AD, perhaps Goan CM tries to say Hindu not as a religion but as a culture, Indonesia though a Muslim dominated country, but they are proud of their version of Ramayana, so it is all about past culture, as Hinduism is the oldest religion in the world, so somewhere in the past their antecedents were following Hindu culture.

In fact when the then Pope visited India in the 1990's he also visited Mangalore since it has a very large Catholic population and I had gone for his speech where he asked the Catholics to adapt to the local culture which is very important and tis does not come in the way of your religious beleiefs. Now the catholics here have the custom of wearing Karemani( black beads ) after marriage, also keep bindi and flowers in their hair...It is just that they are trying to assimilate themselves as best as they can.they also wear western clothes for their daily outings..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

You are right, indeed ancestor of most of Muslime and christianity are Hindu. They change their religion. Eating habit and all other tradition are same like others.
'Hindu' as understood in modern days is 'religion' and not 'way of life'. In fact, every religion can be said to be a way of life. Religion affects only life and nothing else. 'Hindu' is one of several religions according to constitution. That is why Hindus have separate personal law just as Muslims and others have. Hindu religion is undoubtedly old and rich and has also many sects and varied ways of worship. Still this is religion.

Saying 'culturally Hindu' and 'we are Hindu nation' are not innocent statements. These come from mouth of a BJP C.M. who is very much part of saffron block. The RSS founder Golwalker had written in his works- 'Bunch of thoughts' and 'We- our nationhood defined' in no uncertain terms that 'Hindu' and 'Indian' are synonymous. Further, Muslims and Christians are invaders. Virtually it is this ideology that scared minorities and consequently our great country was divided in 1947

Our culture is not Hindu. This is composite one. Better to describe this as Indian.

'Hindu' as understood in modern days is 'religion' and not 'way of life'. In fact, every religion can be said to be a way of life. Religion affects only life and nothing else. 'Hindu' is one of several religions according to constitution. That is why Hindus have separate personal law just as Muslims and others have. Hindu religion is undoubtedly old and rich and has also many sects and varied ways of worship. Still this is religion.

Saying 'culturally Hindu' and 'we are Hindu nation' are not innocent statements. These come from mouth of a BJP C.M. who is very much part of saffron block. The RSS founder Golwalker had written in his works- 'Bunch of thoughts' and 'We- our nationhood defined' in no uncertain terms that 'Hindu' and 'Indian' are synonymous. Further, Muslims and Christians are invaders. Virtually it is this ideology that scared minorities and consequently our great country was divided in 1947

Our culture is not Hindu. This is composite one. Better to describe this as Indian.

If it is understood as religion that's due to wrong interpretations by the self styled religious high priests. It can't be helped.
I mentioned somewhere which I don't remember that the very term 'Hindu' nowhere appears in our ancient religious texts and if any member faults my assertion I would be too happy to own my ignorance. It that be so what is 'Hindu' culture? The Aryans ate beef, married consanguineously provide very little to be even loosely called 'Hindu' culture!!
I mentioned somewhere which I don't remember that the very term 'Hindu' nowhere appears in our ancient religious texts and if any member faults my assertion I would be too happy to own my ignorance. It that be so what is 'Hindu' culture? The Aryans ate beef, married consanguineously provide very little to be even loosely called 'Hindu' culture!![/quote

'Hindu' is derived from 'Sindhu' (Indus valley civilization. 'India' is derived from 'Indus' The term 'Sindhu' got changed to 'Hindu'. But we should see things as understood presently. 'Hindu' is one of many religions in India. Hindu law governs the Hindus including Buddhists, Sikhs and Jains. It will be contrary to current position to say that 'Hindu' is not a religion. It is true that Aryans ate beef and differed much from later day 'Hindus'.

Literally, it is Sanatana Dharma, the word Hindu as well as India has foreign origins, In Persia, the word s is pronounced as H that is why, they called it Hindu, instead of Sindu, and also, the word Hindu came to existence during Moghul periods, earlier it was Sanatan, the word India comes during British period as they called Sindu as Indos valley civilization and from there they derive word India, language is a continuous process and that is why it has been changed and influenced by invaders as well as foreign rulers, if a language does not evolve then it is a dead language.

This is what I know from the search from Google, though it is a topic to be researched and also a nice ingredient for writing, it is the oldest religion of the world, and that is why all the other religion people who are in India, and their descendants surely be once in Hindu or Sanatana dharma as the term is self explanatory in the present conquest and for this, there are many similar characteristics in terms of foods and some other customs, as there is no doubt that Hindu is a separate religion.

In 1995, Chief Justice P. B. Gajendragadkar was quoted in an Indian Supreme Court ruling:

"When we think of the Hindu religion, unlike other religions in the world, the Hindu religion does not claim any one prophet; it does not worship any one god; it does not subscribe to any one dogma; it does not believe in any one philosophic concept; it does not follow any one set of religious rites or performances; in fact, it does not appear to satisfy the narrow traditional features of any religion of creed. It may broadly be described as a way of life and nothing more."

http://mohanmekap.com/

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
Literally, it is Sanatana Dharma, the word Hindu as well as India has foreign origins, In Persia, the word s is pronounced as H that is why, they called it Hindu, instead of Sindu, and also, the word Hindu came to existence during Moghul periods, earlier it was Sanatan, the word India comes during British period as they called Sindu as Indos valley civilization and from there they derive word India, language is a continuous process and that is why it has been changed and influenced by invaders as well as foreign rulers, if a language does not evolve then it is a dead language.

This is what I know from the search from Google, though it is a topic to be researched and also a nice ingredient for writing, it is the oldest religion of the world, and that is why all the other religion people who are in India, and their descendants surely be once in Hindu or Sanatana dharma as the term is self explanatory in the present conquest and for this, there are many similar characteristics in terms of foods and some other customs, as there is no doubt that Hindu is a separate religion.

In 1995, Chief Justice P. B. Gajendragadkar was quoted in an Indian Supreme Court ruling:

"When we think of the Hindu religion, unlike other religions in the world, the Hindu religion does not claim any one prophet; it does not worship any one god; it does not subscribe to any one dogma; it does not believe in any one philosophic concept; it does not follow any one set of religious rites or performances; in fact, it does not appear to satisfy the narrow traditional features of any religion of creed. It may broadly be described as a way of life and nothing more."

My central question yet remains answered. What is 'Sanatan Dharma'
and who decided that from which point of time??? I know of so many interpretations which go into explaining it as a more of a way of life than a religion.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.