Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
The problem with our society is its double standards.Anything done in the name of tradition is accepted like for example if you see the old temple carvings the dresses worn as depicted there sis bolder than anything you see. Similarly you see women wearing sarees below their navel and skimpy blouses which show much more of the body than western dresses do, but that is ok as far as the population. Is concerned ..so one has to use ones wisdom and do what is best for oneself since safety is important much more than public opinion..I personally feel that ladies have to be cautious when there are deviant and deranged men out there in the open..

It happens only in India, but fact is that people in India are still not mature and are never taught to respect others' personal choices especially where dressing is concerned. While most men still prefer their women be covered from top to toe are the ones who will stare shamelessly at a woman who is dress in jeans, they even stare at quite young girls, forgetting their own daughters might be getting stared at in a similar manner. It is all about hypocrisy and double standards everywhere.

I agree. I also find that saree is more revealing than Pant or Jeans. But there is another aspect. What we are used to see is not so noticed as some thing new. Saree is more usual and acceptable dress and so a woman in such dress is not so noticable as one in western dress to which people may not be used to.

True, the way a saree is worn is actually so much sensual than any other dress in the world and yet conservative people do not object to it. Actually it is all about being tolerant towards the women that matters, as long as women are seen as being submissive and mere objects of fulfilling the carnal desires, no matter what a woman wears will always be questioned.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
The problem with our society is its double standards.Anything done in the name of tradition is accepted like for example if you see the old temple carvings the dresses worn as depicted there sis bolder than anything you see. Similarly you see women wearing sarees below their navel and skimpy blouses which show much more of the body than western dresses do, but that is ok as far as the population. Is concerned ..so one has to use ones wisdom and do what is best for oneself since safety is important much more than public opinion..I personally feel that ladies have to be cautious when there are deviant and deranged men out there in the open..

It happens only in India, but fact is that people in India are still not mature and are never taught to respect others' personal choices especially where dressing is concerned. While most men still prefer their women be covered from top to toe are the ones who will stare shamelessly at a woman who is dress in jeans, they even stare at quite young girls, forgetting their own daughters might be getting stared at in a similar manner. It is all about hypocrisy and double standards everywhere.

I agree. I also find that saree is more revealing than Pant or Jeans. But there is another aspect. What we are used to see is not so noticed as some thing new. Saree is more usual and acceptable dress and so a woman in such dress is not so noticable as one in western dress to which people may not be used to.

True, the way a saree is worn is actually so much sensual than any other dress in the world and yet conservative people do not object to it. Actually it is all about being tolerant towards the women that matters, as long as women are seen as being submissive and mere objects of fulfilling the carnal desires, no matter what a woman wears will always be questioned.

It is the attitude that really matters and not the way a woman is dressed. Some people have already made up their minds about the character and other aspects of a girl who dresses in mod clothes and probably goes to a pub whereas a man doing the same things is never questioned or pre judged,which goes to show that the Indian population is still bound in age old feudal thinking that always looked own on women..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

It is the attitude that really matters and not the way a woman is dressed. Some people have already made up their minds about the character and other aspects of a girl who dresses in mod clothes and probably goes to a pub whereas a man doing the same things is never questioned or pre judged,which goes to show that the Indian population is still bound in age old feudal thinking that always looked own on women..

Exactly! Again the basic question that arises here is , are men to dictate what women should wear and not wear? and just because men are still not mature and developed emotionally to be able to keep their desires in check, women should always suffer? It is all about double standards again at work! :blink:

I feel that men and women both face such attempts from opposite sexes, probably men not as forcefully as women but they both face these but men never report them. Men do not object or make it matter of honor because they do not associate it with chastity and virginity etc. Probably some cases with women are of savage nature otherwise most such cases do happen due to love affairs/ relations turning sour and men being physically stronger taking a brutal revenge. These cases are mostly taking place with working women/men and students who do not initial advances and allow liberties to create misunderstandings to the limit of reaching sexual harassments.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

One of the reasons for imposing dress code is to minimize the atrocities perpetrated on the women. I believe its not an act to show the male dominance.

Exactly! Again the basic question that arises here is , are men to dictate what women should wear and not wear? and just because men are still not mature and developed emotionally to be able to keep their desires in check, women should always suffer? It is all about double standards again at work! :blink:

We need a decorum in all walks of life including dress. But this is for men and as well as women. I also agree that men do not have exclusive right to prescribe what a woman should wear or not. This right is irrespective of gender. A dress code needs be prescribed for men and women both and women should also be involved in every decision making process.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

We need a decorum in all walks of life including dress. But this is for men and as well as women. I also agree that men do not have exclusive right to prescribe what a woman should wear or not. This right is irrespective of gender. A dress code needs be prescribed for men and women both and women should also be involved in every decision making process.

True! But when a dress code is prescribed, it should be made on the premises of maintaining decorum and uniformity that does not highlight economic status or lifestyle preferences. But what happens mostly is that issues of women's modesty etc are highlighted when such codes are implemented, that is why they raise totally different issues altogether!

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

True! But when a dress code is prescribed, it should be made on the premises of maintaining decorum and uniformity that does not highlight economic status or lifestyle preferences. But what happens mostly is that issues of women's modesty etc are highlighted when such codes are implemented, that is why they raise totally different issues altogether!

Exactly ! Why should modesty be only the prerogative for women?thats where all the problem comes in because the society dictates and also suggests that women need to dress in a certain manner to please men who basically cannot control their basic instincts and may go wild at the slightest provocation

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

Exactly ! Why should modesty be only the prerogative for women?thats where all the problem comes in because the society dictates and also suggests that women need to dress in a certain manner to please men who basically cannot control their basic instincts and may go wild at the slightest provocation

You have put it very well. In any case a person dresses as he likes and desires. so why cannot this fact be accepted that women also like to dress up for themselves and not for others.

You have put it very well. In any case a person dresses as he likes and desires. so why cannot this fact be accepted that women also like to dress up for themselves and not for others.

You are right but it is not allowed that women wear dress to expose body.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.