Ever since Mr. Shashi Tharoor cut his teeth in politics he seems to be courting one controvery after another.Now the latest involving him is his alleged affair with a lady and he is bitten by love bug at 54! Controversy and Sashi Tharoor seem to be chasing each other much to the embarassment of the Manmohan Singh Government.What do you think?
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
In my opinion, he is a genuine politician, but he is not fully committed to the ideology of the party.His books clearly tells us that deep inside he doesn't agree with the leadership of the party.
I think his twitter controversies are baseless up to a limit and it is fueled by the people from his own party itself.The rise of Tharoor is definitely a threat to some people inside.
Regarding the recent controversy, it is purely a personal matter.Along with it, now he has to face the IPL controversy also.Lalith modi has attacked him in twitter.
But whatever be the controversy, i think as a minister, he has genuine interest in the development of India.He may have become too hot for PM and the party, but they can't afford to loose him.
he is an true politican!!!!
He is a good person...he talks straight thats why people inside congress don't like him... :)
@MC

When Mr. Tharoor decided to join politics I was one of them who was very happy that we're going to have a person with a distinguished and solid backround to make a real difference to the murky world of Indian politic but waching him in action I have no hesitation to express my disappointment.I agree he too has a private life and he is entitled to it but the question how much of a public person's life should come under public scrutiny.There is a very thin dividing line between a public person's public and private life.Gandhiji's had the moral conviction to call his life an 'open book'.I won't have alluded Mr.Tharoor's affair with the lady in question ,had he not been instumental in giving her free equity of the new IPL franchichee,Kochy.In fact he lied to the media that he was not at all involved in awarding this franchisee to Rendezvous and he just acted as a mentor.Now all we know what Lallit Modi has tweeted and there might be a legal battle between the two.Now coming to his performance as a minister he has ridiculed the government of India's visa policy which is the height of irresponsibility. Had he really come up to my expectation I'd have been the happiest person! The Congress party straightaway gave him a ticket to fight the elections and made him a minister but he seems to be only interested in embarassing the party leadership.
Every body has their own life style and working style.In my view, he is a genuine and a controversial politician, he is a different ideologist. Own ideas fully can implement in own party.But he is functioning, its not his own party.High command directions has to follow. in this connection he is differing with others.Also latest IPL issue is a problematic. it is purely a personal but as a minister code of discipline has to follow.
@chinmoy
You comparison of Mr.Tharoor with Gandhiji is too much I think.In the present world of politics where we have more than 50% crorepatis in Rajya Sabha, I don’t think this IPL controversy is a big deal.Maybe he has not risen to your expectation, but in this time of filthy politics he is a good minister for me.Who is perfect here?.Every politician is corrupt to an extend.In this episode of IPL we could see that Tharoor has no direct benefit from it.Maybe he foresaw something,but that’s another matter.
You called him a lair.But I would call him diplomat, which of course he is.Ok. he was instrumental in giving her free equity of the new IPL franchisee, but that is not supposed to be said in the public.So he talked it diplomatically to the media that he is a mentor,which is a right thing to do.Here modi has cheated him and broken the rules. I know a minister should not use his power for personal benefit.,but taking comparatively I don’t see any horrible thing.
Your said he was irresponsible in the comment on visa policy.I would agree to an extend.Though he made a point there, twitter was not the right place.But what about other controversies.The cattle class and holy caw.Isn’t it our narrow mindedness.We make unnecessary interpretation.Or maybe a planned one from someone inside.i think there are people inside the party who feels uncomfortable.And the last one, on the word, interlocutor.What about that.Do you see any point in making a controversy out of it?
I have the opinion that, as such he is not making any embarrassment to the government.He is making his stand clear and he is confident in his words.The media and some uncomfortable people misinterpret his words which leads to the embarrassment of government.
@MC

You have argued your case in a very persuasive and impressive manner but I am still not very convinced.He was an aspirant for the post of UN Secretary General and supposed to be aware of the nitty gritty of an administration.If he was that diplomatic he won't have chosen twitter to express his views on the govermental decision.Just imagine if every minister of the Central Goverment does so it would let loose all the hell! If it is not an embarrassment then what embarrassment is! Well,let us agree to disagree and I personally hope he does well enough to meet our expectations.Thanks a lot for your reply.
@MC

While we argue on this topic,I am happy to share this information with you this title of this topic scores well in Google search and if you just type title on google it tops the list of 24,000,000 pages on this topic.Hope some traffic!
@Chinmoy

Thats a very good news.Credits to you for starting such an important thread and posting such big reply for my post. :)
I think we should continue our argument to some more extend.Also hope other members will join us on this topic.
@Chinmoy,

It is true that he was an aspirant for the UN general post.But UN and Indian politics are entirely different.In that administration, the people you address are diplomats and representatives, but here in politics you are facing common people.So he cant learn anything much about sensitive Indian politics from UN and it is obvious in the mistakes and controversies.He is a new boy here and he is learning.

I already agreed with you in that twitter is not the place to discuss sensitive issues.But I strongly support his revolutionary idea of making transparency through twitter.Now whats wrong with every central minster going for twitter?.It is a fact that more and more politicians are using twitter.Be it in America or any other developed countries, twitter is very popular among politicians and diplomas.In white house some are even considering it as a substitute of media statement.

I think your concern is about politician making unnecessary comment on government decisions and other important matters.Of course it is bad, but there must be a self regulation.The episodes of twitter controversy will be a lesson to them.Apart from that I don’t see any harm in using twitter.In Tharror case also, the visa controversy was the only valid issue.All other where unnecessary in my opinion.

So I once again hold that Tharoor didn’t cause embarrassment.The media and some crooked, narrow minded people made controversy which caused embarrassment to the government.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.