Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
The physical book will never vanish whatever technology changes may occur. My opinion is that a written book is so far the greatest and most enduring symbol of a civilization and as long as there are even a handful of people who understand its significance and importance, books will never ever go away. Tablets and e-readers etc may have a lot many more benefits than a book, but still you cannot just beat a book in comparison in terms of comfort and feelings associated with books.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

We can't say it will completely vanish in future. We can't predict a world after 20 years, we can only make assumptions. Yet, book reading habit will be reduced considerably and people will be more interested in visuals and you tube. I think so. What's your opinion?

I often think, after 10 years, many vocal CD's will also come to market in addition to books. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Meera sandhu
[quote]chinmoymukherjee wrote:
This scenario was portrayed some years back and book publishing industry also felt threatened but going by the present trend their fear seems to be misplaced. Reading in electronic format as a habit has very serious consequences!

Yes....everyone is aware of its consequences. Yet, a very few are actually implementing book reading habit in life[/quote]

Sandhya, you would actually be surprised t o know that more and more people are now understanding the benefits of reading books and so many more are buying books. The recent success of the World Book fair in New Delhi speaks volumes about it and it used to an every two years affair, is now soon going to be an annual event.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

[quote]chinmoymukherjee wrote:
This scenario was portrayed some years back and book publishing industry also felt threatened but going by the present trend their fear seems to be misplaced. Reading in electronic format as a habit has very serious consequences!

Yes....everyone is aware of its consequences. Yet, a very few are actually implementing book reading habit in life

Sandhya, you would actually be surprised t o know that more and more people are now understanding the benefits of reading books and so many more are buying books. The recent success of the World Book fair in New Delhi speaks volumes about it and it used to an every two years affair, is now soon going to be an annual event.[/quote]

In Kolkata, College Street is still the number one attraction for book-lovers - both old and new books. All the bookstall owners are running a thriving trade!
Yes....what you two have quoted is absolutely right. But if we check the age groups, who will be more interested in reading books? I think persons below 20 will be the group showing less interest in reading books. If that group understands the importance of reading, never our books will exhaust. :)

Meera sandhu
Yes....what you two have quoted is absolutely right. But if we check the age groups, who will be more interested in reading books? I think persons below 20 will be the group showing less interest in reading books. If that group understands the importance of reading, never our books will exhaust. :)

Technology changes the way we do things. Ultimately E Books and internet will replace the paper books. We have discarded many things during long march of human civilization. we have no more old style type writers, Bhoj patrams, wet ink and other stationery. Today we have guns and not swords.
0039_2012-03-13.gif (You do not have access to download this file.)
0039_2012-03-13-2.gif (You do not have access to download this file.)

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

[quote="Sandhya Rani"
Technology changes the way we do things. Ultimately E Books and internet will replace the paper books. We have discarded many things during long march of human civilization. we have no more old style type writers, Bhoj patrams, wet ink and other stationery. Today we have guns and not swords.

What is Bhoj Patram....Is it evening newspaper?

Meera sandhu
[quote="Sandhya Rani"

What is Bhoj Patram....Is it evening newspaper?

'Boj Patram' was used long before paper was invented. This was a sort of leaf used for writing on. I have just attempted to explain that the way we do changes with technology.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Sandhya Rani

We have guns as well as swords!!{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 6120]}

Paper books and e-books would exist side by side!
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.