Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
It has to be accepted that politeness is very fast disappearing to threaten to become a relic of the past. What is disturbing in today's culture many interpret the show of it as a sign of weakness. Recently I was going through an interesting piece in the Economic Times which carried the views of some prominent admen who have been exploiting this brashness among youth to build brands as deliberate policy!!!!
Everyone has become so much individualistic that most people think they are really great and intelligent. Intelligent they are but not at all cultured and the trend now is more of devil-may-care attitude and that leads to saying anything to anyone anyhow. Even the parents are now neglecting this much important factor, of cultivating manners and courtesy in the children. I know many parents I meet almost everyday, the children behaving very arrogantly and rudely to others and the parents actually take pride in that behavior. Very sadly, one such parent is my good friend and she is a doctor, her daughter is the same age as my son, and she is very aggressive and abusive to other children including my son. And my son is quite gentle and sensitive by nature, so this lady all the time tells me how I should make my son more aggressive. Is this what I should be teaching my child, to be aggressive and abusive? Or shouldn't she teach her daughter to be more polite and well-mannered? :blink:

I find it very irritating! :angry:

I agree kalyani, it has to start from home where the children are taught the importance of manners and how to behave with others.I think you shouldn't even bother with the lady's advice, your son is doing fine and let him be his own person, not be as someone else wants.I used to get similar advice when my son was in school since he too was very sensitive and polite and never pushy, but I just let him be. Why should we go against nature ? and when we are teaching the right values, why bother about those who are in need of them in the first place?
I notice that when you bend there is always someone ready to step over you...

Thanks Usha for your reassurance! Sometimes I really get myself asking if I am doing right in not try to make him more aggressive! It is the parents who are at fault totally,. the most essential values of being respectful and courteous to others and elders are not considered out of fashion and this type of attitude makes them just more rude and arrogant! Wonder when anyone will realize this?

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar
It has to be accepted that politeness is very fast disappearing to threaten to become a relic of the past. What is disturbing in today's culture many interpret the show of it as a sign of weakness. Recently I was going through an interesting piece in the Economic Times which carried the views of some prominent admen who have been exploiting this brashness among youth to build brands as deliberate policy!!!!

Yes, I noticed many such ads are of that nature, adding more fuel to the brashness and devil-may-care attitude and when it is shown by popular brands, it becomes all the more believable and considered the right way to go!

Yes, I noticed many such ads are of that nature, adding more fuel to the brashness and devil-may-care attitude and when it is shown by popular brands, it becomes all the more believable and considered the right way to go!

Perhaps, by now you have succeeded in identifying the ads I have in my mind!!
People of the day are more advanced now. In every sphere of life we can see the clear changes comes. The mouths of people are now so widen as they never think before speaking that what are they speaking and to whom. Is this happened because of the poor education system? or the poor 'sanskriti' of our beloved country?

There is one with one of the cell phone companies where a cheeky girl after showing that she is smarter than him calls an older man Uncle...I get irritated at the way it is shown, as if by calling him Uncle she has scored a point !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

There is one with one of the cell phone companies where a cheeky girl after showing that she is smarter than him calls an older man Uncle...I get irritated at the way it is shown, as if by calling him Uncle she has scored a point !

That's the one I thought of too at the time, it really is irritating ad!

Thank you said by: usha manohar
The way of expression has changed in today's generation. More colorful and proverb type sentences are being used by youngsters. A big contribution goes to our bollywood, hollywood and tv serials. Who are responsible for this? We? Our education system? Our elders? Who is the culprit?
The way of expression has changed in today's generation. More colorful and proverb type sentences are being used by youngsters. A big contribution goes to our bollywood, hollywood and tv serials. Who are responsible for this? We? Our education system? Our elders? Who is the culprit?

To a certain extent I can understand how it is with teenagers and youngsters since they have their own lingo and vocabulary, but that need not interfere with their manners in general.I see that they behave differently given the situation and people...But when there is no basic courtesy anywhere, it becomes a disturbing trend...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

To a certain extent I can understand how it is with teenagers and youngsters since they have their own lingo and vocabulary, but that need not interfere with their manners in general.I see that they behave differently given the situation and people...But when there is no basic courtesy anywhere, it becomes a disturbing trend...

I find some of them indulging in atrocious conduct and at times amazingly the presence of elders act as 'triggers'!!!! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.