A house wife committed suicide on the suspicion that her husband is intimate with a colleague in the office. Gujarat high court held the husband guilty for causing cruelty to his wife.
But the Supreme court clarified that by merely being intimate with another woman is not considered as adultery. Only if the treatment meted out to the wife drives the wife to commit suicide is considered as adultery for which the husband is liable for punishment up to a period of 3 years imprisonment.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Adultery-is-not-cruelty-Supreme-Court-says/articleshow/22445870.cms
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Hope this works both ways, so that both husband and wife have the freedom to have intimate relationships with others since it is not adultery ! I am not sure if this is gong to be taken case by case or a law...because such a thing or ruling can have serious implications on the social fabric and the institution of marriage itself !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Certainly the ruling works both ways. The apex court says its according to the rule 498 a in its verdict.
A house wife committed suicide on the suspicion that her husband is intimate with a colleague in the office. Gujarat high court held the husband guilty for causing cruelty to his wife.
But the Supreme court clarified that by merely being intimate with another woman is not considered as adultery. Only if the treatment meted out to the wife drives the wife to commit suicide is considered as adultery for which the husband is liable for punishment up to a period of 3 years imprisonment.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Adultery-is-not-cruelty-Supreme-Court-says/articleshow/22445870.cms
Apex court seems to find the real reason for suicide here, if the husband is behaving nicely with his wife the court says that this is not the fault of husband. In my town, wife of a famous person, commits suicide, and says that she had done this as his husband has liquor habit, the case is in high court.

http://mohanmekap.com/

Hope this works both ways, so that both husband and wife have the freedom to have intimate relationships with others since it is not adultery ! I am not sure if this is gong to be taken case by case or a law...because such a thing or ruling can have serious implications on the social fabric and the institution of marriage itself !

Adultery is a non cognizable offence. Husband of the woman with whom one has intimacy can only file a complaint. This is not a very serious offence so as to be considered cruelty.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Adultery is a non cognizable offence. Husband of the woman with whom one has intimacy can only file a complaint. This is not a very serious offence so as to be considered cruelty.

If adultery is non cognizable offence intimacy between a married woman and a colleague or vise versa what happens to the moral values of the society. If I have intimacy with my lady colleague, am I not responsible for setting a bad example in my house and subsequently in the society ?Who will take care of such crimes. Judiciary has no role in maintaining high moral values in the society ?

If adultery is non cognizable offence intimacy between a married woman and a colleague or vise versa what happens to the moral values of the society. If I have intimacy with my lady colleague, am I not responsible for setting a bad example in my house and subsequently in the society ?Who will take care of such crimes. Judiciary has no role in maintaining high moral values in the society ?[/quote

Adultery is not as serious as rape. I just posted the actual legal position. To elucidate further, there can be no adultery if your affairs are with an unmarried or single woman. Only when your affairs are with a married woman, the offence of adultery arises. Then also, only husband of that woman can file a suit. Moreover a woman- married or unmarried is never guilty of adultery. Only a man having extra marital affairs with a married woman can be held guilty on complaint of her husband.

If adultery is non cognizable offence intimacy between a married woman and a colleague or vise versa what happens to the moral values of the society. If I have intimacy with my lady colleague, am I not responsible for setting a bad example in my house and subsequently in the society ?Who will take care of such crimes. Judiciary has no role in maintaining high moral values in the society ?[/quote

Adultery is not as serious as rape. I just posted the actual legal position. To elucidate further, there can be no adultery if your affairs are with an unmarried or single woman. Only when your affairs are with a married woman, the offence of adultery arises. Then also, only husband of that woman can file a suit. Moreover a woman- married or unmarried is never guilty of adultery. Only a man having extra marital affairs with a married woman can be held guilty on complaint of her husband.

What if a married man has intimacy with an unmarried woman in his office. Even though he has not created any conditions that drive his wife to commit suicide. How the court will deal with it ? I'm asking you to know more about such situations where in many families were wrecked.

If adultery is non cognizable offence intimacy between a married woman and a colleague or vise versa what happens to the moral values of the society. If I have intimacy with my lady colleague, am I not responsible for setting a bad example in my house and subsequently in the society ?Who will take care of such crimes. Judiciary has no role in maintaining high moral values in the society ?

What if a married man has intimacy with an unmarried woman in his office. Even though he has not created any conditions that drive his wife to commit suicide. How the court will deal with it ? I'm asking you to know more about such situations where in many families were wrecked.

It is happening all the time esp with the celebrity classes - Hema Malini, Sreedevi and scores of others have done nothing but get into such situations...With their position and money they manage to live through it but I was reading an interview given by Boney Kapoors son through his wife and the kind of mental agony he has gone through ( drug abuse and alcohol abuse) because of his father's illicit affair and later second marriage to the actress was really sad...It is simply not fair to him ! I wonder what would happen if Boney Kapoor had another affiar now with a different woman ! It is the same situation when men go after other women and wreck their own families and home. The mental agony the members go through is tremendous...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Yes are right. Base of marriage life in India is faith and trust. Our society don't allow to husband and wife to involve with other person.

This will not be case of adultery at all. But the wife may make this a ground for divorce. If the husband is too much involved in other women, the wife may seek departmental action by employer or pressurize her husband in other ways. However, this is not adultery.

Adultery is defined as: Section 497 of the Indian Penal Code, 1860, states that, ‘ Whoever has sexual intercourse with a person who is and whom he knows or has reason to believe to be the wife of another man, without the consent or connivance of that man, such sexual intercourse not amounting to the offence of rape, is guilty of the offence of adultery, and shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to five years, or with fine, or with both. In such case the wife shall not be punishable as an abettor.’

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.