Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Yes as said by @Usha: for pooja's and functions we sometime sit on floor. But unfortunately for me one leg has problem and I take support of floor or wall to lift myself... :(
I love to sit in ashanas position as it is really very comfortable.. but I heard somewhere that bones problems are coming for sitting in such positions for long time. Is it true?

I dont think so Rajani, in fact doctors esp orthopedists advise you to start using the limbs once the fracture is healed and also use it to the maximum to get back the flexibility.I had a ligament tear in the knee and it took 12 weeks of treatment including physiotherapy and my family scared me saying that I will be not be able to do this and that, but I realised that the more I used my leg the better it felt and today I am back to normal am able to jog,play badminton etc etc

That's true @Usha: But studies has revealed that knee problem are coming for sadhu's and guru's who sit in that position for longtime. The explanation is that pressure or rupture may hurt the knee.
Yes as said by @Usha: for pooja's and functions we sometime sit on floor. But unfortunately for me one leg has problem and I take support of floor or wall to lift myself... :(
I love to sit in ashanas position as it is really very comfortable.. but I heard somewhere that bones problems are coming for sitting in such positions for long time. Is it true?

I dont think so Rajani, in fact doctors esp orthopedists advise you to start using the limbs once the fracture is healed and also use it to the maximum to get back the flexibility.I had a ligament tear in the knee and it took 12 weeks of treatment including physiotherapy and my family scared me saying that I will be not be able to do this and that, but I realised that the more I used my leg the better it felt and today I am back to normal am able to jog,play badminton etc etc

That's true @Usha: But studies has revealed that knee problem are coming for sadhu's and guru's who sit in that position for longtime. The explanation is that pressure or rupture may hurt the knee.

I am not sure about that, all those who practice yoga sit on the floor and are very agile...if one is stationary in one position for a long period of time it is bad, that way even sitting on the chair or a couch for a number of hours is bad, we need to change position and move around...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

A report published in the European Journal of cardiovascular prevention says, those who can sit and stand unaided from the floor, can perform a wide range of activities of daily living. This easiness in a person indicates towards a long life.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/12/13/simple-sitting-test-may-determine-your-mortality/

This is something that my grandmother used to always say, that we should sit on the floor every day in different positions, squatting etc just so that our limbs remain flexible....Ultimately thats what counts, I have seen people in their forties unable to sit on the floor and get up without support...

Not just people in forties, but also much younger people too. I have seen many such people who feel it is below their dignity to sit on the floor!

I actually prefer to sit down as much as possible, it is really helpful in maintaining flexibility, but sitting down for meals is also good aiding digestion than by sitting on a chair at a table.

Even I like to sit on the floor but not always. Of course during poojas we have to sit on the floor moreover in summer it feels good to sit on the floor and I always do that. :)
You are able to sit much more comfortably on the floor when you sit against a wall and have support for your back....This takes care of your posture and any muscle cramp that you ,may get when you sit on the floor for a long period of time...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Our mortality is determined by our habit of sit and stand.
A report published in the European Journal of cardiovascular prevention says, those who can sit and stand unaided from the floor, can perform a wide range of activities of daily living. This easiness in a person indicates towards a long life.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/12/13/simple-sitting-test-may-determine-your-mortality/

This was something that was taught to us from childhood.I fact even now for family functions we sit on the floor while eating. One of my uncles is nearly 80 years old and he sits and gets up with ease without much support.he also climbs up to the roof of the house on a ladder and repairs the broken tiles... The more flexible your joints are the better you are bale to move around...

This is something that my grandmother used to always say, that we should sit on the floor every day in different positions, squatting etc just so that our limbs remain flexible....Ultimately thats what counts, I have seen people in their forties unable to sit on the floor and get up without support...

Owing to this reason, I always prefer to sit on the floor whenever its possible especially i avoid easel stand for painting. I spread all my painting material on the floor and paint sitting on the floor.
This is a very nice link. When I see that some need others' help to get up from floor, I feel a bit disgusted. Also, it is a good exercise to sit on floor and get up with no or little support of hands.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.