The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
The sedition charges has become the main focus of the case right now. When I read about the way he has depicted the National Emblem I did feel that it was an insult to the emblem. But he remains a cartoonist and its his job to make humorous sketches that bring smile on the faces of the people so the charges of sedition against him are senseless.

He in fact made cartoons insulting the national flag and other emblems. Whatever be the justification and cause of protest, insult of national symbols cannot be allowed. This is insult to nation. Consequently, this is sedition. Intentions of the cartoonist may be good but what matters is what you do. May be the police have exaggerated the offence. Insult to national emblems is clearly established. Charge of sedition, although very correct, is likely to be dropped in view of political pressure by the opposition and anarchists posing as anti corruption brigade.

Agreed Sir, many will find the cartoon to be offensive, but it is unacceptable that he has been arrested on the charges of encouraging hatred towards the government. He did go an extra step but still he was only using satire to depict the corruption and what corruption has turned our Nation into.

The police can act according to law only. There is some old provision in law. According to that, police charged him with sedition. If law is bad, this should be changed. But as long as law on sedition is unchanged, police are right in acting according to that. Moreover insulting national symbols and the institutions (not individuals) is definitely sedition. This must not be excused or taken lightly. It is one thing to insult an individual M.P. but quite another to make fun of institution like parliament.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I like that government is taking action against the people who don't respect their country and flag. Identity of the person hardly matters.

I agree with you.....
Even if the flag is insulted by any other Indian, it's an insult to everyone, even me :)

Meera sandhu
The sedition charges has become the main focus of the case right now. When I read about the way he has depicted the National Emblem I did feel that it was an insult to the emblem. But he remains a cartoonist and its his job to make humorous sketches that bring smile on the faces of the people so the charges of sedition against him are senseless.

He in fact made cartoons insulting the national flag and other emblems. Whatever be the justification and cause of protest, insult of national symbols cannot be allowed. This is insult to nation. Consequently, this is sedition. Intentions of the cartoonist may be good but what matters is what you do. May be the police have exaggerated the offence. Insult to national emblems is clearly established. Charge of sedition, although very correct, is likely to be dropped in view of political pressure by the opposition and anarchists posing as anti corruption brigade.

Agreed Sir, many will find the cartoon to be offensive, but it is unacceptable that he has been arrested on the charges of encouraging hatred towards the government. He did go an extra step but still he was only using satire to depict the corruption and what corruption has turned our Nation into.

The police can act according to law only. There is some old provision in law. According to that, police charged him with sedition. If law is bad, this should be changed. But as long as law on sedition is unchanged, police are right in acting according to that. Moreover insulting national symbols and the institutions (not individuals) is definitely sedition. This must not be excused or taken lightly. It is one thing to insult an individual M.P. but quite another to make fun of institution like parliament.

Sir,I have a question here. The politicians who have been fighting like brainless people in the parliament not insulting the dignity of the parliament of India. We had recently heard of an incident in the news where two MPs indulged in a scuffle in the Rajya Sabha. Many called it as an insult to the Parliament then why not a case was imposed against them. The case of the cartoonist is being exaggerated as he is a common man. I agree that the matter should not be taken lightly but he should only be charged with the law regarding the insult to the National Emblem.

Live in the present :)
I think instead of persecuting him, what he has tried to draw attention to should be looked into. The recent overdose of corruption, not on a small scale, but of humongous proportions indicate anything but a state of peaceful reign. So if he has drawn wolves in [place of lions, he has done nothing wrong! A flag is only an emblem and it represents what a state stands for. If that is missing, then there is nothing left of the flag but only a cloth banner on a staff.

Perfect Kalyani. I was hoping to see a reply like this. We are just diverting the topic he's trying to convey. Fine him amount so that he should take care , but the questions is whose integrity are we talking about here. Arrest is just to divert the issue..

Puneet, thanks for seeing it my way!!

Yes, by talking about punishing him and making an issue of insult to the flag, parliament etc. we are only diverting more and more from the topic!! The very people who have brought shame on us by taking corruption to such great heights are the ones who have insulted the parliament and our national emblem. Raja who was deeply involved in 2G scam has been given a clean chit, Suresh Kalmadi who made us bow our heads down in shame in front of the world is now back in Pune with his head high, people still following him around like they used, no remorse for his corrupt actions! They are the people who have brought shame to our country. What Aseem has done is only try to bring attention to crucial issues.

But then this has always been a ploy of our government. When someone tries to blow open their cover, they try to put down that person by pointing to ways he has used, and the public usually falls for it!

It comes right from the top, The Gandhis were always known to have been a corrupt lot - Soon after her sons fatal accident , apparently Indira Gandhi was more interested in knowing what happened to Sanjay Gandhis swiss watch which also held the code for his swiss bank account.The Congress party has institutionalised corruption and keep on getting deeper into it by that day, so the question of patriotism has long become an unimportant issue for politicians as well as the masses ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
It's the folly of our politicians - whose credibility has touched rock bottom - to sit in judgment of their own cases! It's cruelly ridiculous to go for a cartoonist's work to establish sedition. Cartoons by their very nature and definition have an element of exaggeration which every free society permits and credits with artistic evaluation. All we know how parliamentary democracy has been exposed to the greatest threat to its survival by its own pseudo practioners in India. Whenever any finger is raised at them - you have all kinds of mad allegations leveled against you!
In a way I feel happy that the media is highlighting such issues which would have otherwise got buried with news dominating on all the important things that politicians do. We can at least be happy that media is highlighting such issues and letting the public decide or themselves ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Yes he was arrested for insulting national flag.But he was released from the jail yesterday for just a fine of rs 5000.

Sharmistha Banerjee

Sir,I have a question here. The politicians who have been fighting like brainless people in the parliament not insulting the dignity of the parliament of India. We had recently heard of an incident in the news where two MPs indulged in a scuffle in the Rajya Sabha. Many called it as an insult to the Parliament then why not a case was imposed against them. The case of the cartoonist is being exaggerated as he is a common man. I agree that the matter should not be taken lightly but he should only be charged with the law regarding the insult to the National Emblem.

That is the point I have tried to make! Shahrukh who clearly insulted the flag hasn't got any punishment coming to him. There is no cry fo outrage of even attempt to do so in many instances where Indian Gods and Godesses have been depicted in obscene postures on items ranging from toilet seats to sandals, bikinis etc. We don't see government taking action against them, where is our sense of pride as an Indian?

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

It's the folly of our politicians - whose credibility has touched rock bottom - to sit in judgment of their own cases! It's cruelly ridiculous to go for a cartoonist's work to establish sedition. Cartoons by their very nature and definition have an element of exaggeration which every free society permits and credits with artistic evaluation. All we know how parliamentary democracy has been exposed to the greatest threat to its survival by its own pseudo practioners in India. Whenever any finger is raised at them - you have all kinds of mad allegations leveled against you!

That needs a level of mature tolerance which is missing from all the present day politicians!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

The matter in parliament is not within jurisdiction of police. It is for speaker of Lok Sabha/ chairman of Rajya Sabha to discipline or take any action. This cannot be compared with what happens outside parliament. The cartoonist insulted national emblems and national flag in Mumbai. This is in jurisdiction of police. So, they acted according to law. This is all very clear. But the opposition because of sheer opportunism and the anarchist elements posing as anti corruption crusaders, are making a big issue of simple matter. It may be not be out of place to mention that many N.G.O.s posing as champions of democracy and anti corruption fighters receive awards and cash from foreign sources only to serve interests of their foreign masters.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.