A doctor and medical college professor from Belgaum in Karnataka has created history by performing a dissection on his own father's body for medical students of his college. The doctor, Mahesh Ramannawar, performed the dissection as his father had wished him to do so in his will.

"I am a professor to anatomy and I have only fulfilled my father's wishes by doing this, I am happy that the students have learned something out of this," says Dr Mahesh Ramannawar.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I just find it appalling and to expect a son to perform such an act is very cruel!!
chinmoymukherjee wrote:
[quote]I just find it appalling and to expect a son to perform such an act is very cruel!![/quote]

At time of dissection, he was simply anatomy professor teaching his students. I commend him. This is no cruelty. In fact, I also contemplate to donate my body to a medical college subsequent to my death. The dissectors may be any doctors- may be even my close relatives.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I too feel that their is no cruelty in this matter.Being a professor he had used his father's body to explain to his students. :)
I wonder if it was at all necessary to dissect one's father's body to explain anatomy better!
[quote]I wonder if it was at all necessary to dissect one's father's body to explain anatomy better![/quote]

Your concern is right Chnimoy, it is indeed a sensitive issue and it takes a lot of guts to dissect your own father's body! I personally commend the doctor for his courage! In spite of a huge population, due to various religious sentiments and beliefs attached to a death, there is always a scarcity of dead bodies for studying anatomy in most medical colleges! Therefore, by taking this step, he has only shown an exemplary conduct that would encourage more people to come forward and donate their bodies for a good cause!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

@Kalyani

It's,doubtless, an exceptional act but all we are emotional beings and his father's noble act could have ended in donating his body but asking his son to perform dissection is something I am horribly uncomfotable about!
I also saw this news in news paper yesterday.How will he dare to do it is my doubt.

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
I think the perception of a medical professional would be bit different on this issue.
chinmoymukherjee wrote:
[quote]@Kalyani

It's,doubtless, an exceptional act but all we are emotional beings and his father's noble act could have ended in donating his body but asking his son to perform dissection is something I am horribly uncomfortable about![/quote]

The hospitals have to acquire human bodies with difficulty for education purpose. Donating body to hospitals is a noble act. It is a matter of coincidence that the son was employed in the same medical college that received the body. The father and son both deserve commendation.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

[quote]@Kalyani

It's,doubtless, an exceptional act but all we are emotional beings and his father's noble act could have ended in donating his body but asking his son to perform dissection is something I am horribly uncomfotable about! [/quote]

Agreed Chinmoy!! It just doesn't seem right to our sensitivities! It does take an extraordinary amount of courage and to some extent - calculated cold-bloodedness to perform such a surgery! But some people, The doctor included, forget everything once they get into their designated roles - something that enabled hism to dissect his father's body - he was probably looking at his father's body only as a HUMAN BODY to teach his students!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.