Here comes another interesting and commonest custom:
Making 7 rounds around the fire in a marriage ceremony

Can anyone tell the significance. I think some of the married members must be knowing.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I had a civil marriage and not a formal one so I don't know!!
but my guess is that it has something to do with various vows that the couple takes, taking care of each other and so on... :unsure:

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani is very close to the answer. Anybody can elaborate on the answer?
there is no significance at all. We keep doing this as it has been performed in the past like that. We are the hardest followers of the tradition, I think. So many marriages in the world are happening with out the blessings of 'Agni'..
@Sridevi, where are you??? :dry: :blink: :dry:

Waiting for the answers!! B)

Ok..Kalyani :)
@Shalu
True, there are quite a few registered marraiges , but as per Hindu traditional marraige custom 7 rounds/7 steps are performed. Actually there is a mathematical reason also, apart from the religious one.(though not strictly scientific)

Let us see if the others reply otherwise I will in the evening.
@ Sridevi,

I hope I know the answers as this was performed in our marriage and we have printed that information in our wedding invitation.I have explained a snippet of that here.

The ritual is called "Sapthapadhi" meaning seven steps.

1. First step - For a happy and healthy home.
2. To Develop physical, mental and spiritual powers.
3. To increase our wealth by diligence and righteousness.
4. To acquire knowledge,happiness and harmony by mutual and trust.
5.To be blessed with strong,virtuous and loving children.
6. To promise to care for each other for a long life together.
7. To be true companions and remain partners by this marriage.

Sridevi, am i correct?

websitesreview-meens.blogspot.com
Yes Meean .. it is correct.. this represents the seven vows taken with fire god as the witness.

The mathematical reason I was talking about is that a circle is 360 degrees. Number 360 is divisible by all numbers from 1 to 9 except 7.. So 7 steps are taken.. to signify unending bondage.
This number magic present in the 7 rounds of the marriage has totally amazed me..

Its a very very cool and new concept you have told..

Please bring more to enhance our knowledge..

Aastha Gupta
There are seven days in a week. so making seven rounds means that the couple would be together all time and never separate.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thanks Sridevi and Meaan, you have both explained the concept of saptapadi very nicely and elaborately! :)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.