The great Austrian philosopher Wittgenstein said in one of his works that although it is true that all the religious beliefs are not reasonable ,yet it is not unreasonable to have them.What are your thoughts?
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
There are some beliefs that are not reasonable but as long as they are detrimental and harmful in any way to yourself, your family or the society, it is okay to believe in them,.... but if again if they are not reasonable and not relevant at all, why do we need to have such beliefs? in that case we really need to do some introspection and do away with such beliefs!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

That's very pithily summed up by you,Kalyani! The good ones must stay with us and the bad ones must go!
Yes Chinmoy, for instance the sheer number and variety of different rituals that are being performed by people is mind boggling!! Just because they are supposed to be a part of our tradition, people keep performing them although they have no meaning or relevance! For instance marriage ceremonies, there are people who would choose to go in debts but will nevertheless spend lavishly on them because its a tradition!! I think that's a useless and pitiful waste. why not instead have a civil marriage?

I think in one of the topics the issue was discussed and remember having commented negatively on the practice of spending money like water in our marriage ceremonies.Even if a part of it is kept as an investment that can take care the financial emergencies of many a family.
There are many beliefs which are certainly unreasonable, and if we know that they are unreasonable and there is absolutely no need in following them then we should stop believing in them.
There is no need of believing in what you don't find any reason for it.
But we are many a times rather most of the times are forced to follow religion activities which are useless just because of this society.
These are not practical but what I think about religion.

Aastha Gupta
It is okay to have beliefs connected with religion. It is bad to adhere to these blindly. It is worst to dehumanize by religious practices as Sati, Dowri, sacrifice of life before deity etc.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Sadly, under the gab of religion and faith, one still hears news about small children being sacrificed to deities to find gupta dhan and their are still women being burnt alive who are accused of being witches!! :(

That is indeed a sad commentary on the state of affairs of our country.We have to tear off this garb.Whatever passes for religion involving such medieval practices needs to be given a burial.All the social and religious reformers have tried their best with limited success.
These barbaric acts must be stopped. This is not religion or Dharma. It is cruelty. Proper awareness is required to stop all these ugly practices.

Software Engineers never die...They just go offline.

http://jokesthegreat.blogspot.com
Our great reformers like Swami Vivekanand,Daynand.Social reformers like Raja Ram Mohan Roy,Vidyasagar and others tirelessly worked to rid the society of these pseudo religious practices.We must listen to their voice of reason.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.