Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Can there by any specific guidelines as to what comes under "Forums" and what under "Q & A"? The other day I started a thread asking for names of software for web designing. That could have also come under "Q & A", I was told. I wanted to discuss that point here and so I posted it here. "Q & A" seems only one-way traffic.

When you need only an answer, you may put your query in Q & A. But when you seek opinion or views, this should be in forum. This is a matter of your discretion. You said that you needed some discussion in your question on web designing. Thus, you rightly used the discussion forum.

That’s exactly and correctly put. It is up to one's own discretion. What one may feel like being in a Q & A format, for someone else it might be in the forum. So, I guess the members who start a discussion or put a question will not be a problem.

I find that Q&A section is far better since people respond there to the point unlike here where many an interesting discussions get hijacked and become personal where everything else gets discussed except the subject matter ....It happens with most discussions and no one seems to bother about that....

It is very likely to happen what you said, because forums are after all like face-to-face talk. Q & A looks much formal than this. And it is very natural for a discussion to get carried away like it happens to us all when we discuss with each other with our family members or friends personally.

Where is the need for rules and regulations in that case ? one can simply keep discussing what comes to the mind all the time....

In that case, I guess the members should be mature and responsible enough to keep answering back or not. I have also not answered to many posts that I thought wouldn’t contribute to the discussion as a whole. Just saying "Thank You", "Ok", etc. doesn't sound good, does it?
Now there is a tendency to put questions in 'Answers section' that appear in other sites. Latest example is about words endingg with 'dous' and one other similar. This is indeed a sort of spamming. The questions should be genuine and should more appropriately relate to opinion and not facts that are fixed and available on various sites. To elucidate- It is useless to ask question on 'who is first P.M. of India'.

The manner in which Forums and Q&A are functioning presently need a thorough overhauling
Now there is a tendency to put questions in 'Answers section' that appear in other sites. Latest example is about words endingg with 'dous' and one other similar. This is indeed a sort of spamming. The questions should be genuine and should more appropriately relate to opinion and not facts that are fixed and available on various sites. To elucidate- It is useless to ask question on 'who is first P.M. of India'.

The manner in which Forums and Q&A are functioning presently need a thorough overhauling

What kind of overhauling do you need bigbro? Let's have some points to go ahead. Did you read some of the posts in this thread...cheers.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

What kind of overhauling do you need bigbro? Let's have some points to go ahead. Did you read some of the posts in this thread...cheers.

We can all come up with some ideas and discuss here if we are indeed to go ahead with an overhaul. Otherwise, just mentioning that we need an overhaul will be of no use. Let us all come forward and make it a better place to discuss.

We can all come up with some ideas and discuss here if we are indeed to go ahead with an overhaul. Otherwise, just mentioning that we need an overhaul will be of no use. Let us all come forward and make it a better place to discuss.

There is no binding on coming up with ideas and go ahead with them. You are most welcome to start a thread that you think is apt or worth.

It is mainly the responsibility of members to keep any section clean of spam and pointless questions. Gulshan is right on raising this issue, because most of the questions that are posted in Q&A are the kind of questions to which answers can be easily found upon searching in Google since these are mainly general knowledge kind of questions. If anyone remembers only a while ago, same question was raised in a thread, I think it was by Abhijeet where I had clearly said that only such questions need be asked for which answers cannot be found easily elsewhere, with the sole intention of encouraging others to seek answers by some real research and use their knowledge and experience related to those queries! Maverick too had concurred with it.

Here instead I find that the questions are so simple that I can find answers in just one search and most answers turn up on the first page itself! :blink: Which is not the purpose of Q&A section!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar

The tendency of asking the questions that appeared in other websites is not new in Q&A here. If you see old questions as old as 3 years in This site, you will find this trend . So this trend was existing ever since this site was born. Similarly there is a lot of spamming in Quotations. I brought this issue a few days ago in one of my forum s that it needs a moderator because its a high point yielding spot. Then the administrator has taken a step to contain this bad practice . it helped to some extent. But not fully.. The Q&A and Quotes, should be stopped completely or an effective measure has to be implemented.

This is where the role of the seniors come into place.
What type of OVerhauling is the question that's thrown into the court of the seniors and The Administrative team.
In this connexion its is not out of context to say that I was the one who suggested the "Quotes section" is in need of A strict moderation a few days ago.
For example the categories in "Quotes section is not appropriate. And in the categories rolldown menu see the spellings of some categories.

rwise, just mentioning that we need an overhaul will be of no use. Let us all come forward and make it a better place to discuss.

There is no binding on coming up with ideas and go ahead with them. You are most welcome to start a thread that you think is apt or worth.

The tendency of asking the questions that appeared in other websites is not new in Q&A here. If you see old questions as old as 3 years in This site, you will find this trend . So this trend was existing ever since this site was born. Similarly there is a lot of spamming in Quotations. I brought this issue a few days ago in one of my forum s that it needs a moderator because its a high point yielding spot. Then the administrator has taken a step to contain this bad practice . it helped to some extent. But not fully.. The Q&A and Quotes, should be stopped completely or an effective measure has to be implemented.

There are some financial aspects associated with running a business, so is the case for running a website. If you know these aspects then it's okay otherwise let me give you my point of view. If you close all section of a website and every participation, I am afraid the website would have nothing to share with its members. Do you think every activity that you see here falls under spamming? Or it does not matter and counts toward generating revenue? Maybe some of it does not and is pure spamming but I am afraid we all are sailing in the same boat. As far positive and negative of activities in a particular section, I feel our admin knows best about it as he keeps a strict vigil on every activity. He will appoint/depute a moderator if he feels so or need be. For the time being we can do our best to contribute. as much we know and capable As far quote section the points have been reduced to one from three and the number of posts gone down considerably.

Ah, a go-ahead from someone like you is a good push for me to start a thread. I will certainly start one to see how it goes. I do have my own things to suggest. Let us see how we develop from those ideas. I will soon start a thread. Thanks!
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.