The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Art and design is wide subject beyond paintings and related items. Today art and designs deal with hundreds of different subjects related to life. As these have already been sub categorized in editor of the site, every thing is clear for every one to see.

Sunil there are lot of ambiguities in the editor of the site. In the sub categories, there is one Healing arts. Healing arts has nothing to do with arts. What about Architecture? If decorative art is a category. Mehindi and Rangoli also should be added to the list.
Art and design is wide subject beyond paintings and related items. Today art and designs deal with hundreds of different subjects related to life. As these have already been sub categorized in editor of the site, every thing is clear for every one to see.

Sunil there are lot of ambiguities in the editor of the site. In the sub categories, there is one Healing arts. Healing arts has nothing to do with arts. What about Architecture? If decorative art is a category. Mehindi and Rangoli also should be added to the list.

For your clarification rambabu, mehendi and rangoli cannot really be compared to Decorative Art, as per wikipedia, the definition for decorative art is as follows: 'The decorative arts is traditionally a term for the design and manufacture of functional objects. It includes interior design, but not usually architecture. The decorative arts are often categorized in opposition to the "fine arts", namely, painting, drawing, photography, and large-scale sculpture, which generally have no function other than to be seen.'

Please note the highlighted phrase 'design and manufacture of functional objects. Therefore, decorative art includes Ceramic art, pottery, hand carving, jewellery, metalwork, etc. Rangoli and mehendi do not come under this!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

So, we can't write on hand embroidery, sequence work, ceramic painting, saree designing, colouring, kundan work etc?
i lost 1 topic!

Meera sandhu
So, we can't write on hand embroidery, sequence work, ceramic painting, saree designing, colouring, kundan work etc?
i lost 1 topic!

Who said you cannot write on those? Sandhya, read the definition carefully, design and manufacture of functional objects! You can write on the above categories!

For your clarification rambabu, mehendi and rangoli cannot really be compared to Decorative Art, as per wikipedia, the definition for decorative art is as follows: 'The decorative arts is traditionally a term for the design and manufacture of functional objects. It includes interior design, but not usually architecture. The decorative arts are often categorized in opposition to the "fine arts", namely, painting, drawing, photography, and large-scale sculpture, which generally have no function other than to be seen.'

Please note the highlighted phrase 'design and manufacture of functional objects. Therefore, decorative art includes Ceramic art, pottery, hand carving, jewellery, metalwork, etc. Rangoli and mehendi do not come under this!

I would be happy if you can define 'functional objects.. If functional objects are meant objects of utility, why not Architecture? "Architecture is the art of formulating satisfying answers to the basic questions of security, shelter and living in groups according to Jeremy Kingston. By the by under what category Music and Drama are categorized?

I would be happy if you can define 'functional objects.. If functional objects are meant objects of utility, why not Architecture? "Architecture is the art of formulating satisfying answers to the basic questions of security, shelter and living in groups according to Jeremy Kingston. By the by under what category Music and Drama are categorized?

Well, for one thing functional objects in relation to arts and design is 'the ability to create objects that are functional for some purpose or other while at the same time being pleasing in appearance and aesthetics'

Architecture is 1. The art or practice of designing and constructing buildings.
2. The style of a building with regard to a specific period, place, or culture.

This is an entirely different category with a very wide scope of information and it will not be fair to limit it as a subcategory under arts and design, totally different realm in my opinion.

As for music and drama is concerned, I think it is very much clear that they falkl under performing arts!

Well, for one thing functional objects in relation to arts and design is 'the ability to create objects that are functional for some purpose or other while at the same time being pleasing in appearance and aesthetics'

Architecture is 1. The art or practice of designing and constructing buildings.
2. The style of a building with regard to a specific period, place, or culture.

This is an entirely different category with a very wide scope of information and it will not be fair to limit it as a subcategory under arts and design, totally different realm in my opinion.

As for music and drama is concerned, I think it is very much clear that they falkl under performing arts!

Yes, the entire ARTS are broadly divided into Performing and visual arts. Under performing arts Drama, music and dance are included ( Even Cinema) Experts say that cinematography is an extension of Photography. Architecture should not be given a sub category status. It deserves an equal status in par with sculpting. The best of the temples in India or elsewhere stand as testimonials to architectural excellence.
Boring lecture going on :angry: :cheer: :laugh: :laugh: :blink: :silly: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Why can't you write it as an article :woohoo: :woohoo: :evil: :evil:

Meera sandhu
Boring lecture going on :angry: :cheer: :laugh: :laugh: :blink: :silly: :woohoo: :woohoo:

He he he! That is pure arts for you and can get even more boring so I am refraining myself from writing more on this! ;)

Its all the same Sandhya. Is there an assurance that an article will not bore you?
1_2012-11-16.gif (You do not have access to download this file.)
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.