Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
It is silly to follow the crowd blindly. There is no problem to follow the crowd for a good cause but if we do not agree with the crowd or if we are not at all aware about the situation then it is better to step out of the crowd and stay aloof without following it blindly just for playing safe.

Very true, I agree with you totally!! Again, a good cause is a very relative term, without understanding the implications or anything, people tend to follow a lot of groups or movements without really understanding it.

Many join causes or groups neither because they believe in cause or object of organization. They also are not of herd mentality. They join for certain selfish ends with a purpose. They get a social and professional leverage. Here I know many have joined Radha Swamy sect only to impress their clients and business associates so as to enhance their own prospects and income. This also explains why many opportunist elements join a political party in power. For example, Brahmins joined Bahujan Samajvadi Party and even became ministers in U.P. even though this party is Dalit organization and anti Brahmin. Apart from herd mentality, opportunism also prompts people to follow dominant groups.

Yes, this is one aspect that definitely explains peoples
motives for joining others!

When people join groups for opportunism or personal gains we can exactly pin point a reason for their behavior.But when people get swayed by loose talk and get taken in even when there is no evidence, it can have far reaching implications to others who are the targets !

The opportunists do not tell their real motive. They just say that they are following the leader on conviction. So, they appear following herd mentality whereas real motive is sheer opportunism. So, there are two type of sheep inthe herd- real and fake (opportunist)

Very true!!! This is the general fact of life, but what about trends in education? Once there was a trend of making every child a doctor, now it is engineer, mostly IT engineer. Even though a child may not have the capability to become an engineer, yet the parents are following a herd mentality and paying hefty donations for a seat in engineering!! :unsure:

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

It is silly to follow the crowd blindly. There is no problem to follow the crowd for a good cause but if we do not agree with the crowd or if we are not at all aware about the situation then it is better to step out of the crowd and stay aloof without following it blindly just for playing safe.

Very true, I agree with you totally!! Again, a good cause is a very relative term, without understanding the implications or anything, people tend to follow a lot of groups or movements without really understanding it.

Many join causes or groups neither because they believe in cause or object of organization. They also are not of herd mentality. They join for certain selfish ends with a purpose. They get a social and professional leverage. Here I know many have joined Radha Swamy sect only to impress their clients and business associates so as to enhance their own prospects and income. This also explains why many opportunist elements join a political party in power. For example, Brahmins joined Bahujan Samajvadi Party and even became ministers in U.P. even though this party is Dalit organization and anti Brahmin. Apart from herd mentality, opportunism also prompts people to follow dominant groups.

When people join groups for opportunism or personal gains we can exactly pin point a reason for their behavior.But when people get swayed by loose talk and get taken in even when there is no evidence, it can have far reaching implications to others who are the targets !

The opportunists do not tell their real motive. They just say that they are following the leader on conviction. So, they appear following herd mentality whereas real motive is sheer opportunism. So, there are two type of sheep inthe herd- real and fake (opportunist)

Very true!!! This is the general fact of life, but what about trends in education? Once there was a trend of making every child a doctor, now it is engineer, mostly IT engineer. Even though a child may not have the capability to become an engineer, yet the parents are following a herd mentality and paying hefty donations for a seat in engineering!! :unsure:

Absolutely Kalyani ! one can quote any number of examples where children have fallen a prey to their parents ambitions.No doubt that every parent want the best for their children , but as you rightly point out, they dont bother to find out whether their children are capable or really interested in the course !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Absolutely Kalyani ! one can quote any number of examples where children have fallen a prey to their parents ambitions.No doubt that every parent want the best for their children , but as you rightly point out, they dont bother to find out whether their children are capable or really interested in the course !

True! The parents just follow the trend that is in vogue and do not care about their children's true calling and capabilities!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

We can see this mentality in the way people blindly follow certain traditions without analysing it. In fact questioning it or asking for an explanation makes many angry - according to then=m , it is being followed since many years so who are to question it?Like for example : many people feel that cat crossing their path while going out on some important work is inauspicious and they come back home ( this was shown in the film Padosan...)..I dont know if there is any valid reason for this !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.