If Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO’s) and programmes such as the Urban Community Development (UCD) Programme could cater to the felt needs of the people, then why could not the housing cooperatives do the same? The answer to this question requires an in depth study of the developments in the housing market. In states like Kerala Houses are built not only for housing requirements but also to generate some income through rentals.

The crux of the housing problem in India lies in the large migration of rural migrants into urban areas and the consequent problems is an aftereffect of their extremely low economic status. The shelter needs of the poor who constitute nearly 70 percent of India’s population needs to be visualized in conjunction with their economic needs. There has been ample evidence to indicate that a significant portion of urban poor belongs to the informal sector. The reasons for the growth of this sector could partly be attributed to the inability of the formal sector to absorb the poor migrants.

Also, the restrictive coverage of the formal sector’s activities leaves a huge gap in the economy, which largely fits, into the poor man’s capabilities. The spatial repercussions of such a large sector (almost 50% of most urban areas) being monumental on the one hand, and the preference of such a sector for substandard housing on the other, has thrown into sharp focus a grave urban housing dichotomy. ‘Survival solutions’ need to take a logical precedence over ‘shelter solutions’. Shelter and survival are combined in the concept of ‘Home Based Economic Activities’ (HBEA).

In Kerala, the ‘Maithri Housing Scheme’ was actually conceived to provide housing amenities to the people of the urban slums and other cramped living spaces. This scheme succeeded in solving the problem of housing in the state to some extent. Very recently, this scheme is being implemented in other states as well.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Hi Thomas,
Welcome to our group. This is your first post. Isn't it?
Try to make it simple. Then only viewers will find it interesting to read and reply. You can post such articles in the article section and get points. If you have any doubts, please do post here.

Meera sandhu
Yes it is too long and you can write it as an article and post link here about the topic.

www.mobileeduhut.blogspot.in
Hai thomas. Welcome to boddunan. I am sarala.Am here from 2 years. I hope you too enjoy working here and even earn.

Try to post simple forums, If you post such a lengthy posts then no one will be able to read them so there will be no use of posting forums right.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race.

Hi thomas, welcome to boddunan site. we can earn knowledge as well as money through boddunan. hope you will enjoy working here.

try to post short and simple posts.

Vinu
yeah it was better if this would have been posted as an article and may be a summary of it could have been mentioned in the site.

smriti
I think this could have been a nice read in the review section and would have done you wonders, any way we are getting to know much about your state's housing policy.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

But where is Thomus? After one posting he is vanished.

www.mobileeduhut.blogspot.in
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.