Everyone above 45 should take aspirin daily, says new study

People above 45 years of age should consider a daily dose of aspirin to protect themselves from heart disease and cancer, researchers say.

Evidence is building that the benefits for the healthy middle-aged and elderly "far outweigh" the side-effects, according to the academics.

In particular, individuals at a higher risk from these two major killers can take the painkiller as a preventive medicine, they added, reports the journal The Lancet.

The experts were addressing the Royal Society of Medicine a month after research from Oxford University showed that taking 75mg of aspirin daily for five years reduces the risk of getting bowel cancer by a quarter, and deaths from the disease by a third.

A 75mg dose is a quarter of the standard over-the-counter pill, according to the Telegraph.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Earlier studies had shown that a low daily dose could reduce the risk of developing heart diseases. Members of the panel said that the recent research was potentially of "enormous importance".

Bowel, or colorectal, cancer is the third most common form of the disease in Britain, with 39,000 diagnoses annually and 16,000 deaths.

Research is also looking into whether aspirin could have a preventive effect on other types of cancer as well.

Combined, all cancers claim more than 150,000 lives in Britain every year, while cardiovascular disease accounts for some 200,000 deaths.

Prof Peter Rothwell, the Oxford neurologist who led the study, has started taking a daily dose of aspirin himself. He said: "I suspect that in five to 10 years' time, we will be prescribing aspirin to all middle-aged people, and not only for the known vascular benefits."
I doubt whether consumption of aspirin daily will be free from other side effects.
There are also certain groups that should definitely avoid aspirin, and this includes:

Children under 16

People with uncontrolled high blood pressure, liver or kidney disease

People with stomach ulcers, heartburn or upset stomach

People who have asthma

People who have bleeding problems

Anyone taking a drug for anticoagulation (blood thinning), diabetes, gout or arthritis

Possibly those who drink more than three alcoholic drinks per day

Women who are pregnant or nursing (it's especially important to avoid aspirin during the last three months of pregnancy
Daily aspirin therapy may lower your risk of heart attack and stroke, but daily aspirin therapy isn't for everyone. Is it right for you?

You should consider daily aspirin therapy only if you've had a heart attack or stroke, or you have a high risk of either. And then, only take aspirin with your doctor's approval. Although taking an occasional aspirin or two is safe for most adults to use for headaches, body aches or fever, daily use of aspirin can have serious side effects, including internal bleeding.
"Although taking aspirin leads to a wealth of potential health benefits for adults, people should realize that even a baby aspirin is not free of dangerous side effects," Fendrick said.

Stomach bleeding, ulcers and holes in the stomach

Bleeding in the brain and other internal bleeding

Kidney failure

Certain types of stroke

Liver damage in chronic alcohol users

Ringing in the ears and hearing loss

Allergic reactions (in about two out of 1,000 people who are allergic to aspirin, the drug can cause facial swelling and asthma attacks, according to the Mayo Clinic)
I too have the same doubt as @nagalakshmi...the research sounds something dangerous.. :huh:
I too have read about its beneficial effects but it should be taken with proper medical guidance advice.Thanks Neetu!
Is it a business trick by the aspirin production company?Why should it take if there is no symptoms?

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
Is it a business trick by the aspirin production company?Why should it take if there is no symptoms?

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
Abid Areacode wrote:
[quote]Is it a business trick by the aspirin production company?Why should it take if there is no symptoms?[/quote]

There is old proverb: an apple a day keeps a doctor away. I believe that we should take fresh vegs, eggs, fish, meat, fruit etc. and do physical work or exercise. We should keep doctors and medicines away.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.