Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
What have we come to.Why not combine Indian and Chinese population to generate still better statistics. A rape is a rape. Statistics are not the answer.

Any crime does not come down to zero. all a government can do is to minimize te crime. Statistics are the method employed to monotor not only crims but everything relatd to human and othr activities. You can do nothing without statistics.

But statistics have earned a bad name too.
"There are lies. Damn lies and statistics."- Mark twain.

This happens when statistics are manipulated. The statistics about rape and crime in India have not been compiled by U.P. government. Hence also not manipulated. It is okay to say that even single rape is bad enough but so far there is no state or even district in India that could be completely rape free. Mukayam singh can certainly explain the comparative condition of U.P. in relation to rest of India by using the statistics compiled by central government.

Whosoever might have compiled statistics of UP, the fact remains statistics are in majority are believed to be manipulations.

Please tell how government or any government or any body in India or world can work without statistics. The Government of India compiules statistics. The budget cannot be prepared without statistics. No planning can be without statistics. No social welfare scheme can be planned or executed without statistics. It may be possible to manipulate statistics but all statistics are not manipulated. The users know how to use these. I may point out that Government of India have also a cadre of officers namely "Indian statistical service'.

I did not say to work without statistics. I only said about the reliability aspect of statistics. Despite all this statistics have become an integral part of any administration. I worked in statistics dept. of a steel major. I'm expected to place the previous day's steel production at 7.30 am on the table of our CEO. I remember some times my CEO used to say when the report is not ready, Bhai, kuch figure de do na.

Thank you. some times, you need to make some manipulation tio keep the time schedule. But even then you do that with some estimate and experience. also you have scope to make some corrective action. For example, you give a figure of 180 on a day instead of correct figure of 200. Then next day, you may adjust by addition of twenty to actual figure for correcting previous day. However, mostly the figures are correct. Here we are discussing crimes. Here performance is judged by number of crimes over total population. It is natural that same number of crimes in a more populated state will be lesser proportionalely in a less populated state. Also crimes in metropolitican and big cities get more publicity. Cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore get more coverage. Lucknow is capital of U.P. and so crime in Lucknow will be highlighted more.

If its for some times it's ok. But manipulation has become a part of making daily reports. All my colleagues and senior officers used to make me a butt of laughter saying, " dekho Aaya Char Ko Aath Karne wala." they may be indispensable but not reliable. I have many stories with me like this.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.